I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

REC Recoil Guides - Micro vs Fly guides
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2016 01:39AM

Hello,

I'm thinking of using rec recoil guides strictly for running guides for a spinning rod. I like the idea of lightness and ability to flex for handling midwest winters. My question is, can I use the RSF Light Duty/Freshwater Single Foot Fly Guides or should I use the more traditional spinning rod guide design, RSPG Recoil Micro Guides? Any advantages and disadvantages over one or the other? I'm afraid the fly guides will allow too much contact with the blank.

And does anyone have a weight on the RSPG Recoil Micro Guides? Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 01:53AM by Sid Thao.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: REC Recoil Guides - Micro vs Fly guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 07:44AM

The recoil fly guides are used every day for building ice rods up here in ice fishing country. They work very well.

Remember, at times you have icing conditions, and thus there is no need and a disadvantage to go too small with guides for ice fishing rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 01:31PM

I would use the RSFX - heavy wire.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 01:54PM

Second Herb's recommendation. Lite Recoils are VERY flexible as well as being very light. I doubt the use of REC guides will produce a measurable difference in the performance of your spin rod but it will eliminate any chance of corrosion from salt water. I would like to see how the finished rod looks.

Date: January 22, 2016 06:03PM

Roger, I use the REC fly guides on my ice rod builds but the difference is that you're not casting with the ice rods therefore line contacting the blank isn't a concern. But then again, snake guides on fly rods don't really hold the line off the blank when casting as well so I'm not sure what to think..

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 06:50PM

I use the RSPG on flyrods due to the very observation Sid stated above - "....snake guides on fly rods don't really hold the line off the blank when casting...." This is evident on every old fly rod I had that had snake guides where the finish on top of the guide feet had worn from contact with "dirty" fly line. The RSPG's complete full circle stands off the blank far enough to greatly reduce (if not eliminate) contact the with wraps. The difference in weight between the RSPG and RSFX is not substantial enough to me to use the conventional single foot snake style.

Posted by: Scott Henry (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 01:57PM

Hello! I am brand spanking new to rod building. I live in Northern Minnesota and plan on building ice fishing rods from 24" to 30" in length.
I see different terms used for recoil guides and was wondering is there more than one supplier or manufacturer?

Terms like used by others in this thread:

RSFX - heavy
Lite Recoils

Not sure where I would find these or what they mean.

THX for the help!

Date: January 27, 2016 11:59PM

Scott H., first of all welcome to the rod building world. I myself is still really new to this as well. But to answer your question, they are different style of guides but made up of the same material that makes them flexible. Go to mudhole.com and search for REC guides. For ice rods, I've been using the fly guides which are the RSF lite fly guides. The RSFX are the same guides but heavier duty/thicker wire I believe. Have fun as it is addicting and say goodbye to factory rods once you start...

Posted by: Scott Henry (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: January 28, 2016 06:01AM

Thanks for the info Sid!
You have been using the RSF lite fly guides ....... are these also flexible like the recoil guides or just light wire? I like the idea of the recoil for durability.

THX and I can just imagine how addicting it will be come :)

Posted by: Sid Thao (209.140.108.---)
Date: January 28, 2016 11:46AM

As far as I know, all REC Recoil guides including the fly guides are ALL flexible. They are all made of nickel titanium. The RSF is just model/style name for the guide. Just like there's Honda Civic, accord, pilot, crv. Doesn't matter what model, it's all Hondas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster