I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Scheme for Tiger Wraps
Posted by: sam Ledbetter (---.cable.conwaycorp.net)
Date: January 18, 2016 01:57PM

I am new to decorative wrapping and needing some advice of doing a tiger wrap. My question is: Is it better to use a lighter or darker top thread to finish the wrap with? I know that it is user preference but I am having trouble getting the tiger effect in my practice runs.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Scheme for Tiger Wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2016 03:06PM

Have you read the original articles? [www.rodbuilding.org]

There is a quite bit on color in both of these.

Date: January 18, 2016 06:25PM

I read the articles in the library. I understand that the top color will be the predominate color with the under layer providing the contrast. I tried using both black and tan as an over wrap on top of a red under layer. I was not pleased with what I saw.

After reading the articles, realized a couple of mistakes I had made and am trying again on my practice dowel. I see the beautiful work people have done and was looking for general guidance for color matching, Not my strong point.

Sam

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2016 06:29PM

It appears you're not following the information in the articles.

Making the bottom layer either black and white, or yellow and black, will provide the strongest effect. Try that route and then see how things look up top with whatever highlight color you choose.

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.169.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 18, 2016 08:01PM

I recently did a tiger wrap with a red and silver base layer and used red as the primary color on the top layer. Simple colors, but it turned out excellent!

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 10:18PM

With the advice above you may be all set. However, here's my Tiger how-to if it helps...

You need two threads as a bottom layer. The colour of the lighter bottom thread provides the background of the finished tiger.
IE black and gold with red over will create a red tiger over a gold background.

The bottom threads MUST BE OF HIGH CONTRAST, black and white, black and silver etc.
Wrap these a little loosely, you are going to use your thumbs to push these threads a little to the left and right, to create an "S" contour before applying finish to them.
You only need a slight "S", so don't go nuts...Pushing the threads out of alignment enhances the tiger effect.

Let's ay you want a red Tiger...Once this base wrap is pushed, finished and dried, you will wrap your red thread and a thread of any colour you have lots of over the top of the base wrap.
IF THE BASE LAYER WAS WRAPPED LEFT TO RIGHT, THE TOP LAYER WILL BE WRAPPED RIGHT TO LEFT.

WRAP THE TOP LAYER AT NORMAL TENSION.
Tie off, then heat the whole wrap with a hair dryer. Don't set it on fire, just warm it up nicely so that the top threads want to bite/stick to the bottom wrap.

Let things cool, then carefully unwind the off colour thread from the top wrap. You want to leave a sort of corkscrew of thread to give a Venetian blind effect...You will see your tiger start to emerge as the sacrificial thread comes off.

Add the clear finish and dry.

The Tiger will always be whatever colour your top thread is.
I use NCP (no colour preserver) thread for the Tiger colour thread because I think CP causes problems when I remove the sacrificial thread.
You are free to do whatever you like.
Good luck
Garry2rs

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 11:34PM

""I use NCP (no colour preserver) thread for the Tiger colour thread because I think CP causes problems when I remove the sacrificial thread. ""

Garry, if you decide to use nylon thread apply CP, and remove sacrificial thread right after cp has been applied when everything is still wet. Do not let it get dry, and you would have zero issues with thread. Then let it dry and finish as usual.
I also tried with good finished result a little different tiger. After one coat of epoxy over base layer i applied coat of epoxy with very fine glitter flakes, then two more thin coats of epoxy, then finished with top thread as usual. It takes extra time, but gives some sparkling to the deep leyer. Looks different then if you apply glitter over top.

Date: January 19, 2016 10:17AM

It looks like I need to rethink my plan. I was making way more complex than needed. I had seen some wraps on Youtube using three threads and that is where I started. It appears I need to get back to basics first in trying to learn this technique.

Two threads of high contrast on the bottom, black and white, yellow, silver, etc. and the color I want the wrap to be on top.

One more question: Is it better to use one or two sacrificial threads on top? Again, I have seen it done both ways on Youtube . Two threads would definitely be easier to do.

Thanks

Sam

Posted by: Austin Ku (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2016 01:05PM

Hey Sam,

I have done a few tiger wraps. Personally I like having 2 sacrificial threads on top because it bring out the real focus color of the wrap. My last wrap had a Black, Silver, and Navy under wrap and a Navy over wrap. Silver and black worked for contrast and the navy brought the wrap together.

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 19, 2016 01:42PM

Sam,
try both ways and see what you like better. I personally use one sacrificial. I also do not keep tension the same on the outerwrap, I have some spots with normal tension and some with very little tension. Then move it arround prior applying either cp or epoxy. Not sure if it change final look though, since other people keep normal tension and get nice results too. The beauty of it is there are no identical tiger wraps

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 19, 2016 02:21PM

I've had good results recently using 30lb. Stren braid as my sacrifical, gives a wider gap while only having to wrap two threads on top.

Date: January 19, 2016 06:53PM

Thank you everyone for the help!! I can see spending more time experimenting with techniques and colors. It may take me awhile to get the rod finished.

Sam Ledbetter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster