I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning Adhesive off EVA
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 10:00AM

I always seem to get some rodbond on my EVA grips that I don't see till it's dry. Before I start sanding......how do you guys like to clean up EVA grips before turning the rod over to the customer?

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning Adhesive off EVA
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 10:06AM

Next time try to remember to tape the ends with the blue painters tape Less mess Then clean while wet

If dry you will probably have to sand it off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 13, 2016 10:20AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:07PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 13, 2016 10:43AM

Eva can also be reamed out for a easier fit Tight is not good it will squeezes out the glue
Use reamers on a drill -- EASY does it don't force the reamer in hard it will get hot and soften the glue
I usually ream till the eva stops about 2 - 3" form the end of placement Then do as John suggests

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 13, 2016 10:49AM

I do tape everything up as I have had some epoxy disasters in the past but after reading the above replies, I think I am guilty of not reaming out my foregrips enough. I am usually working pretty hard to get them in place and squeezing out all of the adhesive I had to apply as a lubricant in the first place.

I think I better invest in a good set of reamers.

Date: January 13, 2016 11:28AM

If you have or can get some broken blank scraps you can make your own reamers ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 13, 2016 11:41AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have or can get some broken blank scraps
> you can make your own reamers ???

Yes Bill.....I saw a great tutorial on that.....fellow was reaming bunches cork rings in seconds with reamers he fabricated from scrap blanks and mounted in his drill. I just don't have that kind of space available to me.

Date: January 13, 2016 11:44AM

I know what you mean My living room keeps getting smaller and smaller LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 12:50PM

Broken rod blanks are free, and a 40" 120 grit sanding belt will set you back $2.68. Cut the belt, making it a straight strip, dab some Pliobond contact cement on the back of the strip and on broken blank section, let it dry for 5 minutes, then wrap the adhesive strip around the blank in open spirals, leaving about 1/2" of open space between the spirals of sanding strip [room for cork dust]. Presto! you have a reamer that will last you a lifetime for less than $2.90, and it will work as well as any, even those with jeweled handles.

Date: January 14, 2016 09:02AM

Comments deleted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:06PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 14, 2016 09:24AM

Yes
The 36 grit is faster and does not clog up as bad I use a stiff brush pull the reamer out tap on it and then brush it to get it clean

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 09:43AM

Joe- I agree with John the flex coat 36 grit paper is the way to go. You can make a reamer of any length and diameter you want by using various pieces of blanks. I like solid fiberglass just because it holds up very well, but any broken blank pieces can be used (the thicker the wall the better). These reamers can be used by hand or chucked into a hand drill, or a lathe (if you have one). Use contact cement to attach the strip of sand paper to the blank; it holds up much better than epoxy because it is much more heat resistant.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 11:14AM

I fit grips to blanks by feel, not by measurement, and up to now I have used 80 grit sanding belts on my reamers. Available cork today has a lot of gaps so I'm going to 120 grit to minimize cork crumbling while reaming the grip. Working the reamer by hand takes only a few minutes, minimizes "over-reaming" the grip, and gives me the fit I want. I can spare the extra minute or two.

Date: January 14, 2016 11:17AM

Eva is not as easy as cork

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 08:20PM

I am all good on making some reamers....I have a few scrap blanks and a drill clamp.I am just not sure how to anchor a shaft into the blank so I can secure it in the chuck.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 09:04PM

Steel rods of various diameters can be used or different sized bolts with the heads cut off work well. These can be fit inside the blank by using masking tape as bushings and glued in place with epoxy. Reinforce the end of the blank wth winding tread and coat it with epoxy. This should give you something that can be chucked into a drill. If you cannot find a steel rod to fit inside the blank because of a small ID use a metal male rod ferrule of the appropriate size. These can be found at most online rod building supply companies, use the cheapest ones. After this is done coat the blank and sandpaper strip with contact cement after it dries spiral wrap the abrasive strip to the blank from tip to butt in a clockwise direction leaving a space between the wraps. These reamers work well and are inexpensive to make. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: January 15, 2016 08:05AM

Comments deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:06PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 15, 2016 03:57PM

Thanks All for taking the time to respond....I really appreciate the info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster