I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need suggstions on replacing a damaged fore grip on an already built rod
Posted by: Walt Besuden (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2016 03:52PM

I have an older good rod with a damaged fore grip I have ideas on how I will repair any ideas out there. any suggestions will be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need suggstions on replacing a damaged fore grip on an already built rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2016 03:56PM

We detailed a method for doing this without having the remove any guides in a past issue of the magazine. Whether or not it's possible on yours could depend on several factors.

Are you replacing a cork or an EVA grip?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 03:56PM

Walt,
The easiest, cleanest way to fix it is to remove the rod tip top, all of the guides and the fore grip.

Then, replace the fore grip and either retie on the former guides and coat them, or if you want, this would be a good time to put on a new set of guides if you wish.

It only takes an hour or so to remove the guides and fore grip, reinstall a good fore grip, retie the guides and apply finish.

Good luck

Date: January 12, 2016 04:01PM

cork grip

Date: January 12, 2016 04:04PM

Tom is this past copy available for purchase I know I should subscribe

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 06:44PM

You could also fill & sand the foregrip smooth, then cover it with heat shrink. The heat shrink should slip over the guides down onto the foregrip without having to remove them.

Date: January 12, 2016 09:13PM

Yes, I'll have to look up the volume and issue number tomorrow.

Essentially you sand down what you have now and fit a new one over it, splitting it to allow it to pass down over the guides. Once clamped and glued, it is then sanded to hide the glue line. Not hard to do.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-70-194-131.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2016 10:04PM

Couldn't the new one be sliced in half the long way either with a very fine toothed and thin bladed saw or a razor blade. Then glue and clamp the two halves in place? I've never done it but seems like a reasonable and easy fix.

Date: January 13, 2016 07:52AM

You can do that too, although you'll have two glue lines to bother with. If you can do it with one, and manage to slip the thing down the rod and over the guides, you can get by with just the one glue line. But yes, a completely halving will also work. Either method takes some precise measuring beforehand. still quicker than replacing a half dozen guides.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 09:32AM

Hello Walt & Tom.

I think the issue you are talking about is in 16/3 pg.24?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 09:46AM

Never had to do this but Toms method looks like the best option. Seems pretty easy. Another option is to sand it down to just above blank and wrap with cork tape. Then wrap two thread wraps to hold ends of tape and finish wraps with epoxy. Good luck. MH

Posted by: Craig Clements (107.72.162.---)
Date: January 13, 2016 11:02AM

I'm inexperienced, so take this with a grain of salt. Another option that might be possible is to simply remove the foregrip and go with no foregrip. You could do a epoxy/thread dam as a transition to the reel seat. If the blank is discolored or dull from the sanding, you could do a bit of a butt wrap above the thread dam.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 11:35PM

It doesn't say whether the whole grip is broken or just a part of it. I do a lot of cork repairs. On thing I never do is sand down the cork to the blank. Too risky in hitting the blank. If I am going to replace the entire cork, or just part of it, I simply use pliers grab and twist the cork off the blank. It will come off easily and almost completely. Gentle heat and scraping will take care of the rest.

In replacing with a new piece, ream out the cork slightly larger than the blank diameter . I then cut it in half on a bandsaw with a very fine blade, wrap back on the blank and epoxy. Done properly you will not see the lines in the cork once clamped and glued.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 11:38PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 02:33PM

Same idea as Tom posted as I just pull off the front cork grip and clean the blank up a bit and then take
a new fore grip and cut it in two down the center. All I do is glue the two parts together on the rod,let dry and put some shrink tubbing over the fire grip to hide any mistakes you my have on the rod.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Walt Besuden (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 04:41PM

Thanks all for the helpful suggestion I have done the ream cut and glue turned out great
See ya on the water here in Florida
Thanks tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster