I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some advice about metallic fading
Posted by: David Bourque (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 05:49PM

Have a customer who wants to use Prowrap Metallic purple 9600. He was warned about the possibility of it fading fast and did not seem to mind to much. I really hate for it to fade fast on him and he gets upset. I have used the blue and will never again but never the purple. I have not had any problems with other colors. Is there any other thread that will come close to matching that may not fade as fast or is purple ok to use. He likes the metallic since it matches his boat. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 05:50PM by David Bourque.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some advice about metallic fading
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 06:36PM

Use Gudebrod if you can find it, I have never had it fade. Use CP too!
!

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 10, 2016 06:53PM

I've got a bunch (8 different colors) of the metallic from Pac Bay. I have yet to try it. If you want the purple to try you are welcome to it. I know I probably won't use it.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 10, 2016 07:43PM

I've moved over to Makoi thread. I had some Pro Wrap and won't use it as I don't like how it handles. I think that you will be pleased with their colors and how the threads handle.

Tom

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 08:35PM

I think you will find that purple metallic will fade almost as bad as blue does, as it has the color blue in the mix to achieve the color purple. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 01:07PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: chris newkirk (205.204.248.---)
Date: January 10, 2016 09:03PM

I've used the purple Prowrap metallic on a couple rods and it fades in absolutely no time. I thought the first spool just may have been from a bad batch. A couple years later, I bought another spool and had the same problem. The blues don't last much longer than the purple and red goes to pretty quick too. Other Prowrap metallic colors that I've used seem to do okay. I have some factory rods that are probably 10 years or older now that have blue metallic trim bands on them and they haven't faded a bit. If anyone can point me to a brand and source for it of non fading (or at least slower fading) purple/blue/red metallic, I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 10:15PM

You might contact Karen at Bingham.
She has Fish Hawk thread in both nylon as well as metallic. I haven;t noticed any fading issues with this thread.

You can also try Pac Bay thread. It is a bit harder to find, but I have not had any issues with that thread either.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 10:31PM

Maybe the embroidery metallic like Sulky might work better, haven't had any problems with it on my rods, but I don't leave them out in the sun when not in use.

Posted by: chris newkirk (205.204.248.---)
Date: January 10, 2016 11:15PM

Forgot to mention in my above post that I've also used the Pac Bay metallic purple with the same problem. Thanks for the other brand suggestions.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: January 11, 2016 10:06AM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use Gudebrod if you can find it, I have never had
> it fade. Use CP too!
> !
Why would CP help with metallic fading? It's not UV protective and epoxy doesn't penetrate metallic thread.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 11, 2016 04:02PM

Randolph isn't the only person who I have heard saying to use CP to prevent metallic fading.

Additionally, a couples years ago, I did a nylon over metallic wrap and added acetone to the epoxy to ensure full transparency of the nylon. The finished product turned out very nice and I mentioned it and the use of a thinner to the thread manufacturer. I received a scolding from the manufacturer and it was stated that using any type of thinner could cause premature thread fade.

Also, it was mentioned to me by an epoxy manufacturer that the chemicals in some brands of epoxy will react with metallic thread, Last year prior to ICAST 2015, I made a trip down part of southern Florida. A person at one of the shops, brought out a rod from the back. He removed the yellowed epoxy that covered green metallic thread. He then proceeded to remove the metallic thread. The backside of the green metallic thread was blue.

I have discussed this issue with shop owners who have been in business for a while. In a conversation about metallic thread, it was stated by one shop owner "all thread fades, just some a little faster". That included Gudebrod. And lastly, geographic area and use will have an impact as to how fast the fading occurs.

Don Becker

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2016 10:24PM

The problem with metallic colors fading is caused by the coloring being a dye rather then a pigment. Dye is used in order to get the metal reflection to shine through the color, if pigments were used it would block the reflection. All the colors fade, some faster then others. The problem is more obvious in sunny climes.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 11, 2016 11:51PM

It seems to me that the use of CP could degrade the effect of the metallic. This is based strictly off an observation of a wrap on a recent rod I did. I did a butt wrap tie off in light blue. I did an over wrap of the blue with a pearl white metallic from prowrap and purple inlays. The thread was opaque when wrapped and turned translucent when epoxied. It then looked like a light blue shimmery wrap. Rather cool looking but unexpected on my part. The only draw back was that it then showed the inlays where the tag ends were wrapped over.

There is a white nylon inside the metallic thread that disappears when epoxy is applied. The cp would prevent this. Doesn't look bad because I've CPed metallic before, but it makes me wonder if it would look better without.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I will try to get an after epoxy photo up as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 12:59AM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 08:01AM

We have had nothing but great results and reviews in regards to metallic in both Fish Hawk [www.getbitoutdoors.com] and Fuji's Ultra Poly. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

We have both in stock and are glad to help.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 12:39PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
Here you can see what happened after finishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster