I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spybait casting rod
Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 10, 2016 03:55PM

I'm looking for a spybait rod for the upcoming season and was thinking about a few off the shelf options. It seems like the consensus is a 7'ish ML fast rod is a pretty good place to start. Now, there are a couple of options mostly within my intended budget range *but*... What about a custom rod...? 7' - 7' 3", 1/8-1/2 oz, light weight guide train (simple spiral wrapped for fun). Which blanks should I look at? Taper, length, weight would be my top 3 priorities. I'd like to keep the cost of the black in the $50 range. Thanks in advance! And go!

Re: Spybait casting rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: January 10, 2016 05:03PM

all my spybaits are too light to comfortably use with BC gear, so I think spin. I think the ideal spybait rod is about the same as a ML power XF action drop shot spin rod, 7-7' 3". Some techniques are best served by BC, some by spin. I think spybait makes more sense with spin. You want light line, distance, and that seems like spin.

Rainshadow Revelation: REVS72L-SB
L Trout & Panfish
7'2" 4-10 1/16-1/4 0.405 5 Fast 1.7 L $58.08 Getbitoutdoors.com

Would be better with XF action, but the $50 limit is daunting.

Date: January 10, 2016 05:06PM

MXS72M-B - spinning
7'2" 6-12 1/8-3/4 0.46 4.5 Extra Fast 1.7 $94.00

Phenix, Getbitoutdoors

Date: January 10, 2016 05:06PM

MXS72M-B - spinning
7'2" 6-12 1/8-3/4 0.46 4.5 Extra Fast 1.7 $94.00

Phenix, Getbitoutdoors

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 06:38PM

Showing my age here, but what is a spybait?

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2016 08:36PM

Spybait is basically a jerkbait weighted to allow it sink, with props on both the front and back. Guys use them for suspended bass, on light line. Spybait in my opinion is more of a finesse tactic to get what you need the bait to do. On clear northern waters I fish, I use 5# and 6# flouro on a 7 foot medium or medium light blank. I actually built my a few years back on a Batson RDR 70M, it's a Glass/Graphite blank designed for trolling etc... It has a moderate action which I like with moving baits that I am really not imparting any action into. Plus the light line and trebles I actually like the more parabolic action. Just my two cents but I would probably stick with spinning, casting might be a bit overkill for that technique. Fishing that bait on heavier line really takes away the action of the bait.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: January 10, 2016 10:15PM

Bushido SJ72/4-8 is perfect for this kind of fishing. Throwing small flukes, jigs, small Pop-R and Raps and small slash baits is where it really shines.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 10:27PM

Kind of sounds like a neutral buoyancy, Smithwick Devil Horse or Heddon Torpedo in a smaller size. Us old guys remember those, way to much new names and companies to keep up with these days. But you don't have to use golf club lead sticky back tape anymore or wrap the hooks to get a suspending bait.

Date: January 10, 2016 11:12PM

Thanks for all of the input guys, I really appreciate it! About the spinning vs casting decision: I have a number of baitcasters that, with the right spool (which I have) will comfortably throw lighter lures. The Duo Realis Spinbait 80 (9.5g) and 90 (14g) are what I will primarily be throwing. Plus, if I'm throwing them for a fair portion of the day, the lighter the setup is, the better.

@Michael: do you think the XF action might be a but much with the light wire trebles? Or would I be able to counter the action with a slightly stretcher fluoro? I like the looks of that Phenix blank, my only concern would be the XF action with the light wire trebles.

@Jay: agreed, and I'll be loading up a couple of spools with 6# fluoro to see which I like best for them. I'm not going to be spooling up 40# braid or anything like that.

The $50 price range was just a number I pulled out of nowhere, if there are other options, throw them out to me. Worst case it means I'll have to wait a little longer until I can get it built. Thanks!

Date: January 11, 2016 10:21AM

Keep me posted which direction you take. Action of the rod needs to be tied into the power. I personally wouldn't have an issue with an XF action blank as long as the power was dialed down to a ML. Flouro has "some" stretch but really wont be enough for a buffer. Remember the hook set with a spybait is more sweeping or reeling into the fish, so for me personally I like a lighter powered rod or a medium with a moderate action. Thats just me, spybaiting is a lot like crankbait fishing, only its designed for open water and the weight transfer system will countdown the bait internally. Soft tip and light line will get the most action you can get for this bait, I throw a lot of the Duo Realis myself.

Date: January 11, 2016 10:23AM

That Bushido is a goo combination of power and action and length you will need. Good suggestion.

Date: January 11, 2016 02:26PM

I think I may have found a nice MHX blank, but there's also a St. Croix and 2 Phenix blanks too... Quickly seeing that my $50 budget is probably going to be eclipsed if I want something that I won't end up selling or keeping and being disappointed in...

MHX SJ842
PHX-S723M-B
PHX-C713ML-B
2C70MLF

Has anyone built on one of these?

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2016 05:50PM

The SJ842-mhx is one of the most versatile blanks in the lineup.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: January 11, 2016 09:51PM

The XF action should pose no problems if you keep the power down. A blank with light line rating and light lure rating will lead in the right direction. I like the XF for more feel with the light mono I use for this technique. Randy, how about that Revelation panfish blank you are so fond of? Wouldn't that work well?

Date: January 12, 2016 11:34AM

Sure do like the Revelation Blanks, for the price they are lights out.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: January 12, 2016 02:01PM

I think that the best blank by far for this technique, built casting or spinning, would be the Rodgeeks C473MHXS.

It's got enough power in the butt end to handle whatever you need but the bend is definitely more parabolic. I use mine for 1/4 oz jigs and splitshotting. It has handled light line like a champ.

Joe

Date: January 13, 2016 07:35AM

First off, thanks for all of the input guys! I actually really appreciate that many of you have differing opinions on the blank because it gave me lots of things to look at. One thing I noticed was that I shouldn't pigeon hole myself into a ML blank. There were a few suggestions that I would have dismissed out of hand simply because of the higher end weight range listed. After looking into it more, I came to realize that I could likely get a blank that would be more multipurpose (broader weight range). That being said, I think I'm going to go with Bushido SJ72/6-12 and trim 2 inches from the butt end. I will still be able to use the rod for something other than spybaits as well, probably shakey heads, light jigs and tubes.

Thanks again guys, I'll be sure to post pictures once it's built.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster