I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

boat rod guides for steel line
Posted by: Paul Kolis (---.sctnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 04:43PM

Hi All,
it's been awhile. I've been tasked with replacing the guides on my friend's boat rods. Both are 5' fiberglass heavy duty rods with roller tops that are used for deep trolling on the finger lakes with steel line. (My friend is OLD SCHOOL - he will not fish any other way, and asking him not to use steel is non negotiable)
Would like to purchase a guide set for each that will hold up to the steel line and not break the bank. Suggestions and advice welcomed

Re: boat rod guides for steel line
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 04:53PM

If you can find a good set of the Mildrum Tungsten Carbide guides that would be my choice. Nearly indestructible if kept clean after use. Not sure how SIC would hold up.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 05:22PM

Silicon Nitride is usually recommended for wire line. Fuji BHBNG

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 05:46PM

I have quite a few of the old Mildrum Carbaloy guides. What sizes do you need?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 05:54PM

I am with Jim on this Heavy duty and a nice price

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 08:03PM

I have trolled with monel and copper line. Both are quite soft. I have never trolled with steel line. The Rockwell hardness of this steel line would dictate the type of guides rings to use.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2016 03:12AM

Ive built a bunch of dipsey diver rods using the Silicon Nitride Fuji BHBNG. They work great. No problems............ Buzz

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 07:01AM

I have a lot of mildrum tungsten carbide tips and a few guides send me a email if I can help you out

Posted by: Paul Kolis (---.cluster-g.websense.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 08:35AM

Thanks for the advice ! Decided on going with Fuji guides since my friend is rough and tumble on his equipment - he has no idea what cleaning his gear is.

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 08:51AM

Mildrum tungsten is the way to go if you can find them, a good substitute is Carboly, I have been using braced PAC BAY carboly from MUD HOLE Tackle , and have had no problems.

Rich Kline Custom Rods.

Rich Kline CR

Date: January 10, 2016 05:23PM

The required hardness of the guides is determined by the hardness of the line, trapped abrasives in the line, and the amount of line which is reeled over these guides. Compared to cast and retrieved line little trolled line passes through guides and solid metal lines carry few if any abrasive particles. Cold-drawn copper wire has a Rockwell hardness of around 50, monel wire around 60. If you can't find the Rockwell hardness of a guide you could refuse to buy it, or you could ask for opinions.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 11, 2016 08:06AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:08PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 11, 2016 12:51PM

Who sells steel trolling lines?

Date: January 11, 2016 12:51PM

Who sells steel trolling lines?

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2016 01:31PM

Message for Chuck Mc Intrye:
Need 2 #16 Mildrum Carbaloy guides. e mail if you have them will work something out

Thanks
Rich Kline Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster