I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Introduction and Info Request re:Tuna Rod Blanks
Posted by: Bob Bradley (32.216.139.---)
Date: January 08, 2016 01:13PM

Greetings. This is my first post. I like that fact that real names are used on the site. It's nice to see people who aren't hiding behind some internet pseudonym for a change.

Full Disclosure: I'm not a rod builder, and probably never will be. (I do tie flies and make my own lures, so I'm not a complete troglodyte.)

I am seeking advice on blank selection for 4 rods I want to have built for me. I am an avid offshore fisherman, frequently working the NE canyons for pelagics during the late summer and autumn. I already have a full complement of custom built short (5-1/2') stout offshore tuna trolling rods with Penn 50 VSW's and 30 VSW's, but they guy who did them for me several years ago is no longer doing it. What I am now looking is a set of 4 rods that will be dedicated to night time bait fishing for tuna. I want something somewhat longer to help work fish out from under the boat, and away from props and rudders. I want stiff but light rods that I can pair with Accurate BX-2 (500 size), Penn Torque, or similar light weight two speed lever drag reels. I'm thinking either 6' or 6' 3". I'd like to keep the weight as low as possible, so I'm not sure if I want unibutts or just straight full rods. Any good advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Introduction and Info Request re:Tuna Rod Blanks
Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.44.64.24.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 01:06PM

Bob,
I LIVE for late summer and fall to fish the canyons for tuna! My favorite "style" is night time chunking on party or six packs. I don't have my own boat and prefer party boats. I looked around a long time for the perfect rod for chunking and that's what lead me to rod building. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I learned how to do it myself.
Long story short...I've been having great luck with MXH Saltwater blanks from Mudhole. I use their 7' 40-80lb and 60-100lb models because I like the longer length for higher party boats but, I think they're available in 6' and 6 1/2' also. The blanks are a beautiful, high gloss, carbon fiber and kevlar blend and are light as a feather. I use American Tackle Virtus Heavy guides, spiral wrapped, which are also light and strong. Pair these with a lightweight reel and they're a pleasure to hold all night long. You can view the blanks and guides on Mudhole's site (link to the left).
Shorts

Posted by: Bob Bradley (32.211.58.---)
Date: January 09, 2016 08:41PM

Thanks. I will check them out. One of my regular crew is pushing the Calstar Grafighters. I guess I need to find a place where I can lay my hands on them and compare - hopefully side by side.

Where do you fish out of? I'm running out of Westerly RI and sometimes we have open seats. We usually do minimum double overnighters, and try for triples when the wx permits. Not a charter. Private boat. We split the costs and split the catch equally.

Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.44.64.24.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 11:09PM

Hey Bob,
I'm not sure where, other than Mudhole, that you could handle an MHX Saltwater blank. Maybe someone on this board knows and can chime in. It's kind of unfortunate. I just rolled the dice and bought one to try and I'm super glad I did. I have a Grafighter 7' GF700XL which also turned out to be a very good rod but, I still like the MXH blanks better. The MHX is MUCH lighter and just as strong, if that's an issue for you. I use Avet HXW Raptor 2 speed reels on 2 rods and Shimano Talica 25 II on 2 other rods and really enjoy their lightweight feel to hold yet strength and power to fight.
I usually fish on boats that leave from the Point Pleasant, NJ area. Most trips are 24 to 48 hours. The longer the better for me. Like you said, the weather that time of year is usually the trip length governor. I would like the opportunity to fill out a trip with you. My boss is pretty cool about time off during "tuna season" so I can typically go on a moments notice. My email address is jon.kistler@yahoo.com if something comes open. Thank you.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 11:28PM

Hi Bob,

I love the calstar e-glass and grafighter series rods, but it might be because I'm west coast brainwashed.

Nick

Date: January 10, 2016 12:05AM

Well, light stiff and strong are my goals. I want a bit more length to give us more flexibility working stubborn fish around the running gear. My boat draws 4 - 1/2', so being able to work a slightly longer rod to keep the fish out of the screws would be helpful.

BTW, that was some game that just ended. I dont really care about either team, but what a nuthouse ending.

I appreciate the feedback guys. And I'll add you to my call list Jon. I have one regular crew member that drives up to my club in Westerly RI from Jersey.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2016 07:37PM

Take a peek at the Batson RCKJB lineup. Skinny, brutally strong.

Posted by: paul fischer (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 11, 2016 10:59PM

If it was me,I wouldnt bother with unibutts on a chunking rod. If you want something a little longer then your standard stand up rig, Id take a look at some of the long range blanks. You really cant go wrong with Seeker or Calstar blanks. Seeker cts60xh, ctsf6060xh, ctsf60xxh are all 6 footers but that last one is for 80#. then theres ctsf63 of varied action and line wt. that are all nice blanks. Calstar options are even bigger, check out mudhole theyve got all of them.
Hope that helps

Date: January 11, 2016 11:33PM

Thanks. I have pretty much decided to skip the unibutt. I'm getting a lot of rec's for the Calstar. I just wish there was a place near CT where I could get my hands on them and compare side by side. Does Mudhole have a brick and mortar presence?

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 03:28PM

I keep my boat in the Watch Hill area on the Pawcatuck, but its a small boat not suited to the offshore scene. The Batson RCKJB blanks are very intriguing; the specs look great. I would suggest contacting Batson directly to inquire about the blanks. I have had good results building on MHX blanks, though no tuna sticks. My tuna builds were on Seeker blanks and fished/held up extremely well. Email me directly and we can have a conversation about rod builds and fishing out of Westerly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster