I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

line guidelines for two handed fly rods
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 07, 2016 08:12PM

Hello all. I'm building a scaled down two-handed fly rod for my daughter from a 5 weight, 10 foot blank.

I think i read somewhere that generally two handed rods take a line weight two sizes higher than a single hand rod. So would the same apply or are there additional considerations because this isn't a designated switch rod or mini-spey rod?

thanks
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: line guidelines for two handed fly rods
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 11:56PM

I have never heard of this formula, and not at all sure of the basis for it. It will mostly depend upon how she will be casting with the rod.

If simple two handed roll casts, or two handed false casts the line weight is probably closer to one weight higher.

However if she will be doing spey type of casts, it will depend upon how much line she can handle out side the tip for those casts. This will require experimentation to determine both the "overhang" lengths and line weights. A good starting point is the one weight over.

If you have the lines on hand, I'd take her out and start with the rod designated weight and work your way up. Again the casting type or style will be a BIG factor!

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: January 08, 2016 09:16AM

A couple of years ago, I had Larry Lee of L3Rods (916-962-0616) cut some line for me for a switch rod. He has a formula that he used to cut the line specifically for my rod. I was using a blank that he had used before, and had a formula worked up. I told him what I needed, and said he would put the line together, (180g Scandi head for a 7wt 10'6" switch rod) in the mail. I sent him a check that day, and he sent the line that day, with on over the phone hand shake. A Rare Commodity these days. I know that you are not building a Spey or Switch rod, you might try using some of the "Half Weight Heavy" line like Scientific Anglers Boost and go 1 wt heavy for the blank weight. A few years ago, I bought a 10 foot blank that was supposed to be a 3 Wt to nymph fish with... It would not load for anything.. I went up to 5 and it was still dead. I went to 7 wt and the thing came alive...It loads deep and shoots like a cannon... You just have to play with it, it will tell you what it likes.

Date: January 08, 2016 09:25AM

Thanks Phil. Your explanation makes sense. She's only doing simple roll casts and two handed false casts - we'll be swinging wet flies and streamers for trout and smallmouth.

One last question, what type of line would you recommend for this type of fishing? Would it be one of the designated switch rod lines with a shorter, heavy head or something different?

Date: January 08, 2016 09:46AM

Thanks Randy.

I guess experimentation will be in order. Luckily the owner of our local fly shop has told me about a line test system he recommends, where he supplies a reel with the running line and various heads and you can see which weight your rod prefers. I'll have to give that a try.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (67.223.216.---)
Date: January 08, 2016 09:56AM

You could spend days digging through all this, but there are some threads on kids rods here:
[www.speypages.com]

My recommendation would be an OPST skagit, and follow their size recommendations for single-handed rods. These short heads are very easy to cast.
[www.opskagit.com]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 03:46PM

Tom, awfully hard to be making recommendations with the limited information! Examples; her experience, age , strength, etc.

I think your plan of using the fly shop system is the way to go.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 05:57PM

Will a 9' work Does she NEED a 10'

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: michael prybis (---.lightspeed.gnwdin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 10:00AM

One thing to consider is if you want full length line or head and running line. If you want a full line, then I suggest using something like the Royal Wulff Ambush line in either a 5wt or 6wt. These lines should have enough weight to help with spey type cast. If you want a head system, then something like the OPST which was mentioned will work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster