I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 guides on bottom section
Posted by: Fabio Liguori (---.10.200.146.dyn.plus.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 10:10AM

Hi everybody,

Firstly, I apologize for a seriously dull question that comes from a rod building newbie like me. I've tried looking in the old discussions with no luck.

i'm re-wrapping a 2pc's 6'6" spinning rod. Getting rid of the old guides in favour of 9 guides KR.
I'm not going to change handle and reel seat.

When deciding where to wrap the guides, both with GPS and table edge methods, i get more than one guide on the bottom section.

I was wondering it that's right, since all the 2pc's rods i've seen have only one guide on the bottom section.

Another example is my single piece off-the-shelf St.Croix Legend Tournament Walleye, that i compared side to side to the 2 pcs version of the exact same model. The 2pc one has the guides in a slightly different position, with only one guide on the bottom section. Instead, if you split my single piece in two, there would be 2 guides on the bottom section.

Hope it all makes sense. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 guides on bottom section
Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 10:35AM

If you get a straight line and it puts 2 guides on the bottom section then it is right. You just need to make sure you have done the math right for your reel and guide heights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 10:35AM by rick sodke.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 11:44AM

You could tape on the guides and mount a laser pen at the same height and parallel to the axis of the reel spool of the reel you plan to use, then cover the opening of the stripping guide with tape to see if the beam hit the center of the guide opening. Then remove the tape, tape the opening of the second guide and repeat the test. Each model of reel is likely to line up differently and we are talking tiny differences in casting performance.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2016 02:28PM

Forget about how many guides are on any particular section. Place them where they need to be and forget it. Should a guide fall on the ferrule, that's okay, too. In some cases you may need to shift a guide an inch or so to get it to satisfy clearance or joining issues, but that's perfectly fine.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 04:03PM

Also when you static test ( [anglersresource.net] ) you will probably move some around

Make sure the ferrule is wrapped so as not to have it split when testing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fabio Liguori (---.google.com)
Date: January 07, 2016 06:11PM

Cheers for the replies so far.

This is the first and only rod I've built so far:

[postimg.org]
[postimg.org]

I had 2 guides on the lower section on this one.

Just got suspicious after seeing St Croix doing two different guide spacings for single and 2pcs version of the same model..

Date: January 07, 2016 06:19PM

Usually one guide per foot and maybe plus one is kind of the start for guides Then you could static test those st croixs and see how the line follows the blank They may even have one less guide???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 07, 2016 06:25PM

The one i'm doing will be 6'6" 9 microguides

Date: January 07, 2016 06:45PM

The link I send you static test should tell you how the guides follow the blank
And it has pictures LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 09:36AM

Not surprising that a KR Build would put two guides on the lower section. Remember the "Rapid Choke" feature of KR is designed to get line controlled and down to the blank as quickly as possible. That could be just enough to put two guides on the lower piece. Set up the train to bullseye and work on good spacing of the reduction train and then take THE ENTIRE REDUCTION TRAIN and move it out until the second guide wraps on top of the ferrule. Test cast and see if things work out.

Date: January 08, 2016 09:39AM

Cheers! Will definitely try that.

Thanks for the patience, I'm trying to learn why things work a certain way.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 10:52AM

Fabio,
If you don't like two guides on the lower section, just use one guide on the lower section and respace the rest of the guides.

I have had similar issues in the past, and I always just respaced the guides and the rods all worked very well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster