I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how much power lost
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 06, 2016 06:09PM

Good evening Gentlemen,

I have a request to build a jerkbait rod however, the customer would like it to be 6'3". I would like to know if you think that removing 6 inches from the butt of a 6'9" ot 6'10" xfast blank would significantly reduce the overall power of the blank.

thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how much power lost
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 06:38PM

Thomas,
Power is a relative term.

The best way to know would be to chop the blank, build the rod and see if it works for you. A 6'1" blank can certainly catch as many fish as a 6'9" blank.

Be safe

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2016 06:48PM

Thomas
Don't chop anything!!
take the rod temporarily put a reel seat handle set up on it in the location it would be on a 6' 3" blank. Tape guides on it.

Try it out, or have the man try it out to see it it works for him. No need to catch fish is it is the action that is most important in a jerk bait for ( at least for bass fishing).
If it don't work you not wasted blank or handle as it could be reamed to fit further down the blank for what ever you decide to use it for.

doing so will also give you idea of power lost

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 06:49PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2016 06:49PM

You can do a CCS ERN measurement on the full blank, then slide it in 6 inches and repeat with the new flex amount. The difference in the two ERN readings would give you a percentage power loss. I suspect it could be quite significant, depending on what the action of the blank is.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 07:36PM

Steve hit the nail on it's head
This way you don't cut and if it does not work well nothing lost and you still have the blank
You can also just tape the reel on with some guides And play with it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 09:05PM

Keep in mind that cutting from the butt is cutting from the power end of the rod, and taking off 6" is 7 +5% of the total rod. I think you will find the power reduction to be substantial.

The suggestion of trying before cutting is a good one.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 07, 2016 08:11AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:09PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 07, 2016 08:40AM

Gentlemen,
Once again, thank you for all of the advice. I will do a simple mock up as Steve suggested. Tom, I will also measure out the blank just for personal knowledge and simply to see how it would affect the blanks.. They will make the perfect rainy day projects for today.

Thanks again,
Tom

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 09:02AM

Try using a 6-6 blank , then do what Steve said..

Date: January 07, 2016 09:25AM

Robert, I would love to be able to use a 6'6" blank but I've yet to find one that has the extra fast action that I am looking for. I personally use one of the older 6'6" SCIV blanks but don't have any left to utilize. It seems as everything has gone to 6-9 lately. I had thought about using a 6 footer with a fast action and putting on an additional 3 inches and have a few options that I can show him, so I guess we will just have to see what he is wanting.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 10:03AM

PB661LF
AA; 75-degrees
ERN: 15.4

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2016 11:20AM

I have to agree with Steve. Since it's not a rod for personal use, I wouldn't cut anything. As Steve said, the action that is the most important part of a jerkbait rod, not the total power of the rod.

My very first build was a jerkbait rod. I wanted a finish rod length of 6' but couldn't find a blank of that length that I thought would have the action that I was looking for, so I ended up trimming 6" off the butt of a 6'6" blank. I used an MHX SJ783. Trimming the 6" off the butt noticeably reduced the power, but I wasn't worried about the power. I was trying to build a rod that still had a nice tip that would be able to work a jerkbait, but one that would bend into the midsection of the blank under the load of a fish.

I'm actually very happy with it. It does a great job for the size jerkbaits I throw with it. Which are baits normally in the 3/8 - 1/2 range. It works a bait the size of Lucky Craft Staysees 90 really well.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: January 07, 2016 11:28AM

Is 4S63MXF an acceptable option?
As a side question, since this is labelled a spinning blank is there a reason one should avoid building as a casting rod?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 07, 2016 11:46AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:09PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 07, 2016 12:06PM

John, I have that blank and it is just a hair short on the power side. Perfect tip and the action that I am looking for. I have found one blank that may work from MHX but don't think the customer is to excited about their products as he has used some in the past from other builders and doesn't feel they compare to his current Loomis sticks.

Date: January 07, 2016 02:50PM

Guys, I forgot that Rainshadow has the IMMWS62MXF and that St. Croix makes the 3C62MXF that will work perfectly, if he has to have the extra inch I will simply extend it with my tube that I got it from CTS.

thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 07, 2016 07:05PM

Thomas Mud Hole makes a 6` 3`` xf they are mb 752 and 753......

Date: January 07, 2016 10:33PM

Robert, thank you. I did finally see that and tonight when I spoke with the customer he bought my two personal rods that were built on SCIV blanks. I just have to order myself some new replacements now. I love having the problem of having to order new blanks!!

thanks again to everyone,
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster