I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod end cap
Posted by: Adam Josephson (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2015 07:37PM

Hello all!
New to the forum and want to say thanks for hosting a great site. I'm relatively new to rod building, having only built one rod about 10 years ago. I still fish it to this day. I am starting on another winter project rod and ran into a small problem early on. The shop that sold me the blank put a butt cap on the end of the rod (I assume to ensure it fit) However, now that I'm ready to start my build, I can't for the life of me get the thing off in order to glue it back into place. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to successfully remove it without damaging the cap or the blank? It is a simple PAC BAY rubber cap.

Thanks all for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod end cap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2015 09:55PM

Try a blunt instrument pried into and under the cap edge. Work it around the circumference until the bond is broken.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 31, 2015 10:01PM

How about dipping just the cap into near boiling water. Not sure how much rubber will expand but it might be enough to get it off.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2016 03:48PM

Adam,
Just a thought, if the cap is on so well that it is next to impossible to get off, why not just leave it on the grip and use it.

It sounds like the friction fit is so good, that there is little need for any additional adhesive.

Be safe

Posted by: Adam Josephson (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 02, 2016 11:35AM

Thanks for all the replies! I had tried applying heat and using a blunt instrument until it made me uncomfortable due to possible blank damage. In the end I've decided to go with Roger on this one. I appreciate a more experienced rod builder offering that advice.
Cheers
Adam

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 04:37PM

if you can't get it off why do it , as you said you want to re-glue it ? if just to clean it up, use fine sand paper, fine steel wool are just a couple of ways to do it ,
if you want to save it for a different rod cur it off a clean it out . if you want to save the blank, just open it cap up an remove it . to save the blank an cap just dig the handle out ,
save all three BLANK , Handle , & cap, leave it alone an just clean it up the best way you have near you

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster