I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning A Grip
Posted by: michael prybis (---.lightspeed.gnwdin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2015 06:41PM

I am planning on turning my first grip and have a few questions. The first deals with the design concept. How do you come up with the design pattern you intend to use. Since this is my first time turning a grip I do not have cork, burl, or burnt rings on hand to put next to each other and see if I like it. Is there an easy way to visualize the look of the finished grip before hand? Next questions are about the mandrel. I will be turning on a wood lathe between to chucks using a live chuck in the tail stock. Do I really need one of the oil harden mandrels to turn or can I use a steel rod cut down to size? I am probably going to buy a 5/16 mandrel, but I could use a smaller one for another custom handle I might build. I am planning on using mostly burl cork since most good cork is too expensive. I will also use at least one ring of rubberized cork. What is going to be the best adhesive to use? I have read people using Tite Bond III, Rod Bond, and Epoxy. Just not sure what would be best. If it matters I am going to be turning a grip for a switch rod. Front grip is going to be 10" with a 4" rear grip. Thanks again for the help.

Mike P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 06:41PM by michael prybis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning A Grip
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2015 08:12PM

Look on the R.B. Meiser site, and in the photos section here. Remember you can use other things besides cork for a design, I've used the red rubber gasket material found in plumbing supply stores, black paper or rubberized cork gasket material, cork sheet from the craft stores, poker chips, acrylic, just about anything you can bond together.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: December 28, 2015 06:18AM

Hi Mike,

Custom Fly Grips has free grip templates available on their website.

[customflygrips.com]

I've purchased premium burl rings from them, that I really like. Good quality and good color. I myself use burl for almost all my grips anymore. If you want to offset the weight, you can core them with some of the foam reel seat arbors.

I use Titebond III for natural cork, burl, and bark, but if I am gluing anything rubberized, plastic, metal, or other non-wood material, I'll use U-40 Quik-Bond for that.

Do a search in the photo section, to give you an idea what different grips with different materials look like.

Take care,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 09:29AM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 28, 2015 08:00AM

If you want cork to play with now is the time to get it: champaigne/wine corks nuked in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds each puff right up to like new and are great to play with.

There is a lot available on the internet to help you design.
Why not start in the photos section right here?

But in general:

Symetry looks good, that is equal spacing of whatever trim you have equidistant from rear and front of grip.

Repeated patterns look good especially if the pattern itteration can completely begin and end in the length of grip.

Sometimes minimalism is the best.
A single thin line often makes something vastly better than a sea of color. Be it grip or wrap.
A single line placed about 1/3 back from where the grip meets the reel set is great.
A Rolls Royce has a thin gold pinstripe down its side not a graphic hood-- a hot rod goes the other way.
Both look good to somebody.
Your call what you want.

There are tools you can make from paper or wood that keep this 'golden design rule' (google it) available and allows you to scale it up as grip length or wrap length changes.

Mandrels come under a lot of pressure and the longer they are the easier to get off true.
If money was no object mine would be made of tungsten.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 12:28PM

A hardened steel mandrel is a good investment! Softer metals will flex more especially in the longer lengths like your 10" grip. As mentioned above, Titebond III works very well with cork and wood, but not for rubber or plastic.

As for design ideas, peruse the "Photos" section of this site, there are many great looking grips!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 01:03PM

seeing that this is your first handle to make an shape , go cheep an KISS it , [keep it simple s&&$#d ] , I think for the first one . PS, keep the rubber rings for the start an stop ring on the handle , as they will take the wear an tare better over time than the other man made rings, I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 10:48AM

Michael,
A great first grip to turn is a Tennessee handle.

Basically, you take a length of cork rings, glue them all together, sand and shape them down to a constant diameter of about 1.0 inches and your handle is done.

Glue the grip to the handle, wrap the rod, tape the reel to the handle and go fishing.

This is also one of the very lightest grip and reel seats that you can have that is also very sensitive.

Many of my soft water customers want this sort of grip and reel seat and nearly 100% of the ice rods that I build use the similar set up.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster