I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod not casting
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.100.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 25, 2015 06:21PM

I'm building a Rodgeeks C2SW76MHF (7'-6") and I'm using BTRLS guides. Client wanted two features built in to the rod other than color scheme. 1st, a 25mm base guide, so I went with that even though I recommended a 30. 2nd, he wanted the hook keeper installed on the left side of the rod facing upwards. He is casting a Penn 550 SS with 12-20lbs test. My problem is line slap. The line is beating the blank in several areas between the spool and the first guide, regardless of where I place the guide. The other thing I'm having issue with is the line keeps catching on the hook keeper due to the position and line slap. I'm thinking I should go to the 30mm or 40mm base guide. Any comments welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod not casting
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2015 06:27PM

A higher frame guide in the same ring size may be all you need. Otherwise a larger ring might be needed, but there is always the change that it'll create even more line slap. Most likely these are things you'll just have to try.

On spinning rods, the best position for the hook keeper is generally on the bottom of the rod.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.100.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 25, 2015 07:33PM

Thanks Tom, I made the suggestion to the client but he was insistent on the hook keeper placement.

Date: December 25, 2015 08:27PM

As long as he understands that the line may hang on it, the ball is in his court.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2015 09:23PM

You might want to ask the client why they want this size guide and that keeper location.
When I was selling, sometimes clients had strange or unique requests or concern, that once examined was easily resolved.
People gather scraps of information and bits of datum from, who knows where?.
These things might have been true once, or under certain circumstances, but might not be applicable now, or in this case.
IE. "Real performance cars always have manual transmissions!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2015 09:25PM by Garry Thornton.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2015 12:17AM

Mark,
I had precisely that problem with a rod that I built for a client, for exactly the same reason.

After the rod had been in use for 6 months and he asked me to fix the issue.

1. I went from a size 25 standard height guide to a size 30 high frame guide.

2.l I want from the hook keeper facing up, to a hook keeper on the side of the rod angled down about 20 degrees.
Depending on whether the client is right or left handed, I will place the hook keeper on one side of the rod or the other.
If the client is right handed, so that he is casting with his right hand and reeling with his left hand, I will place it on the left side of the rod, with the keeper angled down just a bit. That way, if a loop happens to snag on the hook keeper, the line will fall free as soon as the pressure has been removed from the line.
If the client is left handed such that he holds the rod in his left hand and reels with his right hand, I will place the hook keeper on the right side of the blank facing slightly down.

The reason that I place the hook keeper on the side is that the client can hold the rod in his standard holding hand, swing the bait over to his free hand, and use his free hand to hook the bait or hook into the hook keeper, without having to change his position on his standard rod holding position.

By the way, the client was very happy with the change in the first guide to a high frame size 30 guide in precisely the same position as the first guide was placed. In this case, the rod was either a 6 1/2 foot or 7 foot rod and the guide was placed at 19 inches from the face of the spinning spool.

Good luck

p.s.
You might pass along the reason that I place the hook keepers in the positions that I do. By the way, this is exactly the same position where G Loomis places their hook keepers. However, they place the hook keeper on the right side only on the assumption that the bulk of their users will be right handed users of the rod.

Date: December 26, 2015 08:10AM

A fisherman can simply turn his wrist to put the hookkeeper into any position desired at the time he wishes to locate the lure or hook.

A hookkeeper that is on the bottom of a spinning rod won't hang line - the line will simply fall off of it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: January 02, 2016 05:44PM

I put a drop shot keeper on the left side of one of my builds and it is not unusual for line to tangle in it. Never again. Just haven't taken the time to move it, will do this winter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster