I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another paint question
Posted by: Bob Jaszczak (---.nwmnsa.com)
Date: December 21, 2015 11:56AM

Hello everyone. A friend of mine has asked me to repair some salmon mooching rods. They are two piece gloomis, heavy power, moderate action 10'6" rods. The top sections are OK, but the bottom sections have pretty big chunks of paint missing. He wants me to put a clear coat over the entire bottom section of the rod as they are, missing paint and all. I am very concerned that without decent prep, they are going to look terrible, and worse yet, the clear coat will not stick. I am not too enthused about stripping the paint off of them as that process would be new to me and it seems like it would be a lot of work.

This leads to several questions. 1. Have any of you tried putting a clear coat over a surface that includes both paint and naked graphite? If so, how did it work out? 2. How nasty a job is it to strip the paint off? If it was just one rod, I would not be too concerned, but he has 12 of them that are in the same condition and if it is a big job, I don't know that I want to tackle it. Thanks much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another paint question
Posted by: Rob Warren (---.east.dsl.telkomsa.net)
Date: December 22, 2015 08:38AM

Hi Bob
I agree that the rod will look terrible Particularly on a decent Loomis blank. I have the same rod on my lathe at the moment.
I used the following process to strip and recoat the blank
1)Used a stanley blade(craft knive) to remove the damaged paint Make sure to keep the blade at 90 deg to the blank and then use a scrapping motion to get rid of the old coating.Scrape only small amounts at a time.I have been using this method for many years and find that with graphite blanks there will be no damage to the surface.This should take about 45 minutes.(don`t get lazy and angle the blade this will surely damage the graphite)
2)a light wetsand with 400grit wd paper
3)Mask,prep and clear coat 3 coats @ 75 microns(I use a small hvlp touch up gun)
4)for additional quality I will sometimes apply a 4th coat then wetsand after curing with 1200 grit wp and the polish the blank with finishing cream
As there are 12 rods to do this process will save you at least half of the time it takes to ``touch up`` the rods
Regards and many happy`s for the season

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2015 11:05AM

Just one note to add to Rob's comment.

I do a similar procedure to what Rob uses. However, when I scrape the blank to remove finish or paint, I scrape only from the butt to the tip.

The graphite fibers run from the butt to the tip of the rod. If you scrape only from the butt to the tip, you don't run the risk of catching a graphite fiber with the blade, and peeling it up and off of the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Bob Jaszczak (204.221.144.---)
Date: December 26, 2015 09:59PM

Thanks guys. I will give it a go and hope for the best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster