I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bleeding thru
Posted by: Don Kaiser (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 10, 2015 05:53PM

I did a under wrap with Pro wrap 9520 with a nylon top rap and when I put on the epoxy it bleeds thru what can I do to prevent happing ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bleeding thru
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2015 06:11PM

Regular nylon thread requires color preserver in order to keep the thread from turning transparent.

Posted by: Don Kaiser (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 10, 2015 07:44PM

It's not the nylon that is bleeding thru.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2015 10:28PM

Whatever is underneath the thread will show through if you do not treat it with color preserver.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 11, 2015 08:07AM

Pack your threadwork tightly together and apply color preserver as per the MFG instructions.

Packing threads alters the shape of the thread slightly increasing the contact area from thread to thread thereby lessening what shows through between the threads from underneath. It's not just eliminating open visible gaps. I explain it this way to my students - I ask them to imagine we section the threads and look at the ends of the threads"

This is what wraps with gaps looks like: O O O O O O O O O O There are visible open spaces. You can have tight wraps with no gaps like this OOOOOOOOOO, but the area where one thread touches the next has very little material thickness to hide a color from below showing through. By packing the threads tightly against each other you accomplish an effect something like this 0000000000. Note the area where one thread touches the next has more material thickness and can better hide a different color from beneath. When you pack thread, you usually can get a few more turns of thread in the same length of wrap so your actually getting more thread and altering it's shape to something more desirable.

There are two schools of thought on applying color preserver to guide wraps. One school of thought goes something like this: Color preserver helps maintain the colors of my threadwork by sealing it so the clear finish won't turn it translucent and I'm not worried about the ultimate strength of my guide wraps because they're durable enough for my needs. The other school of thought goes something like I want my epoxy finish to soak through the threads all the way to the blank instead of just laying on top of the color-preserver-sealed thread. I'm going to plan for the bleeding of colors by choosing complimentary underwrap colors and pre-testing the bleed effect to make sure the end result is acceptable.

My recommendations to you are to pack your guide wraps tightly, and then consider the level of duty you need from your rods and make your own choice on the use of color preserver. I generally build rods for a charter fleet that get severely abused by customers (and sometimes the crew) so ultimate durability is my primary build concern so I generally don't use CP on guide wraps. I have wrapped samples of all my threads on the popular colors of blanks I use. Each has a sample of color preserved and untreated finish. I can usually pretty well either match or find a complimentarily pleasing color of untreated thread to match the color-preserver-treated threadwork in a decorative wrap. So basically I color preserve decorative threadwork for maximum appeal and do not use color preserver on structural threadwork for my severe duty applications. If I built lighter, less specialized kind of gear I would consider CP use more often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 10:09AM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.vpnbook.com)
Date: December 11, 2015 09:29AM

I only build for professional charter boat operations and always use CP on my wraps. Being thinner than epoxy, the CP penetrates deeply to the blank to seal and lock the threads in place. The epoxy then bonds and encapsulates that. These are NOT weak wraps. They are many times over strong enough for hard daily saltwater use.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 11, 2015 10:08AM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I only build for professional charter boat
> operations and always use CP on my wraps. Being
> thinner than epoxy, the CP penetrates deeply to
> the blank to seal and lock the threads in place.
> The epoxy then bonds and encapsulates that. These
> are NOT weak wraps. They are many times over
> strong enough for hard daily saltwater use.

An example of the first school of thought... /smile

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (46.11.225.---)
Date: December 12, 2015 07:34AM

Nice technical explanation John. Enjoyed reading it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster