I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snook rod suggestions
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2015 06:41PM

Looking for something to fish live mullet below a spillway in brackish/salt water. Water runs about 20 feet to inches. Lots of mangroves/dam pilings/barnacles/oyster bed stuff to get cut off on. Plus the current is strong. Seeing some big snook....20-30# range. Will be fishing from shore.

Not sure if a 4-5 power popping rod is enough. Not sure if a heavy mag bass would do. Back in the day we used plug casting blanks from calstar/seeker. Don't know what else is out there now. What would y'all recommend? Six to seven foot range, probably conventional gear.

Not interesting in keeping any of the fish, just having a nice battle (so no grouper rod/meat stick needed).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snook rod suggestions
Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: December 05, 2015 11:43PM

[www.mudhole.com]

AmTak Bushido Mag bass heavy action. I built one recently, used it casting spoons for Chinook Salmon, caught one about 15# in a couple feet of water next to brush, and it handled the fish very well. Good caster, too.

Bushidos are great blanks for a good price.

They have one in extra heavy power, too, but the rod above is pretty powerful. (802 grams/77 degrees action angle CCS)

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 09:52AM

I have fished the spillways of south Florida and while I'm sure there are set-ups that some experienced spillway fishermen use to corral those giant snook, it's a gamble at best. The snook you're after will take a hand sized bait and head straight down the canal away from the spillway. They have power AND strong current working to their advantage. At 30 to 40 pounds you MUST stop the fish FAST or it's over before it begins. They are incredibly powerful. I have watched guys with 50# offshore trolling gear get humiliated again and again. I can't recommend a blank other than to say a VERY strong one loaded with VERY heavy braid. Good luck, it's not easy.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 07:09PM

Thanks Jim. You and Jim Gamble are probably some of a few that know what this fishing is like. I have no wish to result to 4/0 reel and 80# braid. The blanks we used to fish were akin to 15-30 or 20-40# live bait blanks. They were very fast taper E or S glass blanks with big fat butts. We got away with reels like newell p220's with drags tighten to the max. They don't make long runs but can make a very determined short one!

Was hopeful someone had luck with something like a curado and a 5 power mag bass blank. We will see if others respond.

With the mouth on the big ones they can take an arm/leg sized bait:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Garrett Stivers (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2015 12:08AM

I would take a look at some musky blanks or maybe a backbouncing blank. You need to be able to stop the big girls. I usually fish the lake worth s155 or s40 spillway with flairs and swimbaits.

Date: December 08, 2015 05:13PM

Russell, can you direct me to a source of info on what the "4-5 power" means? Re the reels for your project, I'm sure you already know that the drag limits on many popular reels probably won't pass muster. But I expect some of the in-shore reels, especially from Quantum or Abu Garcia would have drags that could handle your job.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: December 10, 2015 12:06PM

My two fifths of a nickel's worth. While I'm a rookie rod builder, I've been servicing and tuning reels for a long, long time. The Curado is a nice little reel, particularly the E series. But, using one for this application is taking a knife to a tank battle.

Date: December 11, 2015 04:34PM

Russell, that Bushido I recommended could be 5 power. But I don't know what 5 power means. All I know it is a very powerful rod for inshore/muskie/etc that cast quite well and isn't that heavy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster