I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how many sections
Posted by: John Weston (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 09:01PM

what in your opinion is the best, 2,3,4 sections?
also I am looking at a Matrix fly rod blank in a 9' 9 wt. 2 section, that is the reason for the question, and has any of you built and or used one of these?

thanks all, I always like to hear what you have to say.

JW

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how many sections
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: November 16, 2015 09:05PM

I will never build another 2 piece rod, just too much trouble to travel with them. 4 piece fly rods are just fine for performance. my only experience with Matrix is a 3 weight 7 1/2 feet 2 piece I built as an ultra light spin rod. Very nice. I've heard many good comments on Matrix as fly rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2015 09:38PM

Due to the vastly improved performance and feel from quality multi-piece rods, there is virtually no reason to be worried about multi-piece vs a one-piece model. Having said that, however, there is also no reason to have more pieces than required. I'd advise that you select a blank that provides the longest sections you can deal with for travel, transport, etc. This might mean you can stay with one-piece models, or that you have to drop down to a two, three, four or more piece rod.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 11:53PM

I prefer 4 piece, as even a 9ft rod will break down to a length that will fit in the bottom of my travel duffle bag. As I travel a lot (USA & abroad) I find long sections troublesome.

As Tom mentioned, today's ferrules are so improved that a multi-section rod performs equal to a one piece.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 11:54PM

I only build fly rods - and al my rods are 4 pieces. That being said - an old timer that I respect will not own a fly rod with a ferrule in the middle. i.e. 4pc and 2pc rods. He only built 3pc rods.
Tom alluded to the fact that modern rod ferrules are better today. But some price-point blanks exhibit flat spots at the center ferrule causing less than optimal flex profiles. This causes a blank to be faster than its designer probably intended it to be.

My opinion - get a quality 4pc blank.
Herb
Distrib. CTS Rod Blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 11:55PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.google.com)
Date: November 17, 2015 09:35AM

I have built both. If you pack or travel, a 4 piece is nice, but for around here,(Lower Michigan) I build a bunch of 2 piece rods. If you are building a 9wt, I suspect that you are going after salmon, or somethingg from the salt. Most of the spinning rods built for that type of fishing are 2 piece rods, and 9+ feet long. Anglers find a way to get around with them. Most of my bass/pike/panfish rods are 1 piece 7 ' + rods, and they can be a hastle, but I get around with them. 2 piece rods offer less wraps, which can mean less weight, and in some cases, a smoother transition between tip and handle sections. Some dainty 4 piece blanks will have flat spots when flexed. Matrix blanks typically are not screaming fast at the tip, and load well, and offer really good bang for the buck. If price is a concern, typically 2 piece rods are almost always more affordable.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 17, 2015 10:14AM

John,
I prefer the minimum number of connections.
Every connection adds weight and reduces efficiency.
Connection construction is much improved, but a one piece rod is difficult to beat.
By the time you get to a 4 piece rod with 3 connections the rod starts to "feel vague". Your connection to the rod tip "feels muted and disconnected".
My personal rods are all 1 piece and 2 piece. What the customer needs are his choice, but when I test cast the rods I've not found anything better than a single piece rod.

Gene

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: November 17, 2015 11:51AM

I have put two rods, a two piece and a four piece into a customers hands with his eyes closed and not yet has anyone been able to tell the difference. Same with one piece vs two piece. Nobody can do more than guess as they are that close. But I would not opt for more sections just to have more sections. That eats up time to assemble and disassemble. Just go with no more sections than you actually think you need.

Posted by: John Weston (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2015 01:33PM

thanks all. all my rods are 1 or 2 piece rods. since I don't need to fly I have no problem with 2 or 1. so for all that I will get the 2 piece and have fun. opps, my boo rods are 3 piece.
so for the money I will try the matrix rod.
JW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster