I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Needing suggestions on grips for spinning rod with Fuji Tvs
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2015 10:39PM

Hey guys so I want to try out the Fuji TVS grips on a new spinning rod. I am not sure though what size seat I should buy or what handles I should look into. I am likely getting it from Mudhole. So I want the reel seat to sit flush with the edges of the rear grip. It will be a split grip rod, and I would like the rear grip itself to be very short as I most often hold the rod by the reel seat. I also want it to be eva foam. I was thinking of using a hidden sleeve reel seat, make it uplocking, and then use a foregrip style handle for the rear grip on it. If I did that though I would still need suggestions for what foregrip will fit flush to the reel seat. Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Needing suggestions on grips for spinning rod with Fuji Tvs
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 09:39AM

Since you want EVA I would suggest a look at our new WINN grips. We have them for the TVS, including thread sleeve covers. They have just arrived and gone into stock so you may need to ask a dealer to order them specially for you. I have just added a copy of the ad we will have in the magazine that shows the selection. Fit and styling are unique to our grips, this selection is being made only for us. Good Luck!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 10:01AM

Jim,

The winn grips look very nice. I have not built with them as of yet. My concern has been with the weight of the grips. I understand they are quite heavy, but I love the way they fit the various reel seats available from Angler Resource / Fuji

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (64.107.104.---)
Date: November 16, 2015 10:46AM

Winn grips are not heavy, at least the one I've used was not. I put a full length rear grip on a casting rod. Before installing I weighed it and a same length cork grip. The Winn grip was lighter than the cork grip.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2015 12:15PM

Those look reat nice Jim. How is the sensitivity of the grip in comparison with cork?

Date: November 16, 2015 12:40PM

It can't be different than EVA since the cores are made of EVA. The outside polymer coating is where the grip "tackiness" comes from and it is layered into the EVA. It looks thick enough to be durable but not thick enough to dampen vibration any more than EVA. I have been using the decorative graphite sleeve covers (we will introduce in late Decemeber) on downlocking seats and that gives me a "hard" foregrip that more than makes up for any perceived loss in the grip. I usually choose a seat that offers direct blank contact which the TVS, PTS, PLS, ACS, ECS and TCS all do. Nice these days to be able to choose a comfortable grip and still have plenty of ways to make sure you're in good contact with your lure. Of course the best way is to build on a POINT Blank to begin with..:)

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.google.com)
Date: November 17, 2015 09:57AM

If you want to try something new, i think Jim's suggestion of using the Winn Grips is a good idea. The tacky feel is really good in cold weather applications, and the feel is nice.

Date: November 18, 2015 10:46AM

I fished them in cold (cool for you northern boys) weather last weekend and they are noticeably warmer than any grip I have gripped...including EVA. Don't have a clue why. This whole idea floating around about how WINN was originally designed "to absorb shock in golf clubs so it must dampen vibration" is baseless in my opinion. If we had all been using rock hard carbon or metal grips all these years the argument might have merit but c'mon, we've been using EVA and CORK! Where is the data on how well cork transmits tiny vibrations? And if EVA grips are OK how come an EVA WINN grip is not. It's a baseless argument and I can't understand how it got any traction. A good grip helps with casting where zero sensitivity is needed. Once the retrieve is started you either wrap your fingers around the stem of a spinning reel and the reel seat or you palm a casting reel (and seat) with a small bit of the heel of your palm resting on the grip. You have direct contact with the most conductive materials in the entire rod almost 100% of the time.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2015 12:45PM

Jim, I agree with you. Started using the Winn Grips about a year ago and the people I make rods for love them. Never liked Eva so used mostly cork for many years. I have made a couple of casting rods for myself using Winn grips and I have not noticed any loss of sensitivity vs cork. Just finished a couple of rods using the new CFX foam core carbon fiber grips, they are nice but not as comfortable as the Winn grips. Looking forward to using the new Fuji Winn Grips when they arrive for sale. Have not seen them yet at any of my favorite online stores.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster