I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod and Blank racks
Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: November 08, 2015 06:50PM

I'm sure this has been covered, but what are a lot of you guys using for your rod and blank racks? I'm designing one for my shop and I'd love to see and hear about some of your options.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod and Blank racks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 09:46AM

Joe,
A really simple, yet attractive rack can be made from a simple 2X6 and a 10 foot section of 1 inch pvc pipe.

Cut 12 inch lengths of the pvc pipe.

Then, use an adjustable hole cutting bit and a drill press to drill equally spaced holes in the 2X6 to set up a nice spacing for your rods. You can set them up for about 2 inch spacing or so - and have many rods on display in a very short length - as long as you have the head space to let the rods be vertical.

For blanks, it is tough to beat shelf brackets. You can put shelf brackets on the wall with 3 foot spacing and hold as many rods as you need.

If you have vertical head space, a 3 foot length of 4 inch pvc tubing supported to stay vertical can hold many many blanks in a way that is easy to access and still take up minimum space.

Be safe

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 09, 2015 11:56AM

Joe; for blank storage, I bought 6" PVC hanger brackets from Lowes. They mount on the wall with screws. I used 3 and spaced them to get even support on the blanks. I put 3 more directly above them so now I have 2 areas to hold blanks. One rack will hold about 20 or 30 blanks. These brackets are plastic and are used for supporting 6" PVC, horizontally along a wall. They work great for me as Blank racks.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: November 09, 2015 12:51PM

These are the kind of ideas I was after, thank you very much.

I've got 20 or so blanks in my shop right now along with various repair jobs and as I've reorganized my shop I realized I need a efficient blank/rod rack. I believe having a display rack along with a "working" rack will solve my organization needs. I've got plenty of head space so the 4 inch pvc is a great idea.

Thanks again,

Joe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 03:20PM

I opted for open wire clothes racks (Lowes / Home Depot / etc). I bought 2 of the wider widths at 8 feet in length (they also have wider spacing between each row). I mounted one at 4 inches above the floor and the second at 5 feet above the floor. These allow me to separate blanks by length and "action" (or if you prefer "heavy", "medium", "light" ) as well as weight class (20lb, 30lb, 50lb) trolling rods. Before I packed up the shop for the move I had over 200 blanks stored this way. Be sure to put the lower one in as well as the upper or the blanks will get tangled up at the bottom.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: November 10, 2015 08:50AM

Coming soon.....

[americantackle.us]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: November 10, 2015 09:20PM

Lots of good ideas for blanks, but for rods with reels attached, there is nothing as good as the racks that have a slanted board at the bottom to accept the butt, a simple dowel mounted horizontally above it, with a backer of foam above that. The blank is not stressed, but the rod and reel are stable, easy to put in and get out, visible so you can appreciate your workmanship all winter long.

Easy to make your own.

Like this: [www.cabelas.com]

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 10, 2015 10:29PM

I agree completely with Michael - I bought one at the Expo last year from Black Hole USA & should have bought two - yes, they are that good made from sturdy aluminum with padded rests & angled board at the bottom. I just looked at their site & don't see them listed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster