I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting Cork ??? glue
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 07, 2015 04:43PM

I have been playing with this cutting cork for a couple of years now an doing a fair job at it [ learning curve ] the question I have is
when I cut the cork ring into the small pie shape wedges, when gluing them back together ???? has any one ever used supper glue to put the pie shapes together ?? If so how good is it ?? I don't mean to glue the ring to each other or to put the rings to the blank , just the pie wedges together, if so how does it hold up ? on holding the pie shapes over time , I know it will hold but will it stand up over time,
all inputs will help thanks Bill

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting Cork ??? glue
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2015 06:25PM

William,
I expect that super glue will work just fine.

In past years, I did a lot of model building with wood and fiberglass products and used super glue all of the time with no issue.

But titebond III is such a great white glue and water proof and inexpensive - that it is tough not to use it.

Never have had any issues with any sort of cork to cork glue joints with Titebond III.

Be safe

Date: November 07, 2015 08:44PM

have dun that but looking to but the cork together faster, an supper glue sands faster, just don't know how it will hold up, over time ,
it is water proof, with titetbond III to hold the rings together an as Rod Bond to hold rings to the blank as well , I am just a little shy on doing a rod with it , seeing if
any one else has used it & was the results of it [ long term ] I feel I am going to give it a try just to see what happen's just looks for some info on it

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: joseph arvay (107.77.83.---)
Date: November 08, 2015 04:17AM

William, the CA glues will hold up fine, I even use them on jigs and flies so water is not an issue. Most glues are much stronger than the materials they are bonding to, the material will peel long before the glue bond breaks on most used.

Only issue with the thinner quickset superglue is gap filling, which they don't do well. Thicker, slower superglues will do better there but with a longer set time. Given that you are using epoxy on ring-to-ring and ring-to-rod, what you're doing will work fine even if you have some gapped surfaces on individual (pie) assemblies.

Titebond III? So much more pleasant to the eyes, nose, and fingers over long periods of work.

Date: November 08, 2015 01:25PM

gaps on the pie shapes ? I have the gap proplem worked out, so I don't get any gaps when putting the pie shapes together , it took me a few tries , a a few different saw's an saw blades [school of hard knoks ] but got it all down to a fine art I think, it is all in the saw an blade you use . that is the most important part of cutting cork into the pie shapes , I think
PS thanks for the input on my question , I do think I will try it, but as I am an old fart now don;t think I will be around to see how long it will last ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 09:41AM

William,
Just a note on the use of super glue.

Keep a roll of waxed paper around. When you start working with the super glue, but a bunch of strips of wax paper.

The nice feature of wax paper is that super glue won't stick to wax paper, and wax paper will not leave any residue behind.

It works great to put on a work bench when you are doing gluing with super glue. Nothing gets stuck to the paper, nothing gets stuck to the bench, and if you pick up object that may still have wet glue with a piece of wax paper, you don't get the glue on your fingers.

Also, keep a fan blowing across your work surface so that when the glue "kicks" and fumes - the fan will keep the fumes from being inhaled.

Also, if you put on a bit too much glue on a joint, keep a heat gun handy. Put a bit of heat from the heat gun on the wet joint and the heat will cause the glue to "kick" and cure.

Be safe

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 11, 2015 04:59PM

What is the best hand scroll saw blades for cork # of teeth? I'v been using a Razor saw for the few I have done and it binds alot. Thanks Jaa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster