I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira thread, lubricated, or not?
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (64.107.104.---)
Date: October 27, 2015 04:38PM

I've read and heard conflicting information. Is the thread treated with silicone, or some other lubricant? I've heard yes. I've heard no.

Thought I'd ask the experts on this forum.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira thread, lubricated, or not?
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 27, 2015 05:46PM

Yes it is Gary it's done to run in high speed embroidery machines sometimes you can be lucky & get away with not using cp .I use embroidery threads all the time but I use cp on every wrap.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2015 06:45PM

Hi Gary,

Wrap a test stick and try to apply finish without being color sealed first. The finish will not stick and that usually implies silicon contamination.

They do have nice colors.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 02:27AM

Gary as Barry said it is impregnated with silicon. If you don't put color preserver on it, it will almost disappear(as with most untreated thread)once you put epoxy on it. . Also while mixing your epoxy throw in a 1 1/2" to 2" piece of the Madeira thread. Some how it acclimates the epoxy to the thread when coating. This will prevent the "fish eyeing" this thread is known to do.
Tim

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: October 28, 2015 08:35AM

Gary,

I have called and talked with representatives of every commercially available embroidery thread in search of one that is not lubricated. I learned that all embroidery threads are lubricated. Some more than others. The thread is lubricated as part of the manufacturing process so it can pass through their spooling machinery at high speeds. Without lubrication the thread would be damaged at the high speeds they spool the thread.

None of the manufacturers have info to share on the specific thread lubricant they use or the amounts per spool, so there's no way to compare one brand vs another other than anecdotal reports from users. My limited experience working with Madeira is similar to what others have reported - the type and amount of lubricant used is easy to work with, just use a normal application of color preserver and you should not experience any kind of problems.

On a side note, there's been some anecdotal info passed among rod builders that you can some how "prepare" epoxy finish to work with lubricated thread by cutting a section of the thread and adding it to the epoxy just before mixing the epoxy. The idea is that somehow lubricant transfers from the thread into the epoxy as it's mixed and this makes the epoxy less likely to fisheye on a wrap. From a chemical engineering standpoint, this really makes no sense at all. The two compounds are not chemically compatible in any desirable way. What's really happening here is the epoxy has a natural level of tolerance to the lubricant. As long as the amount of lubricant on the thread does not exceed this compatibility threshold the epoxy will work as we would expect it to. Adding lubricant to the mix via a section of thread stirred in at the mixing time only raises the ratio of lubricant to the epoxy bringing it closer to the point where it will manifest as a fisheye during application or leveling out. So adding thread doesn't help in any way, but at the same time in most cases it doesn't really hurt either. Someone added thread and they didn't get a fisheye. That doesn't mean the thread prevented the problem, all it really means is it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

This kind of erroneous anecdotal reporting happens all the time. We'd like to believe it, but it's just not so. Like people saying it's "necessary" to add acetone to finish to get a level bubble-free finish, or adding Visine to finish can give a matte finish to the epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 08:59AM

Try doing it It just may work in spite of what may be said about it not working

Ya never know unless ya try

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: October 28, 2015 01:21PM

Thanks for all the replies gents. And a tip o' the hat to Mr Powell for the detailed answer. I make very few comments on this site. Being new to this craft, I have little or nothing to add to any conversation. But, I always get good answer to questions I post. I've come to depend on this place for answers. You guys are the best.

I really like Fuji thread. I've had very good results using it, but the color selection is very limited. I have a couple of builds coming up which require colors not in the Fuji line. I've tried Prowrap thread, and had more fuzzy problems with it than with any other; maybe even more than with all others combined, so I'm staying away from that. I've come to believe that thread is like epoxy. You have to learn how to work with each variety for the best results, and I've learned how to work with Fuji thread.

Madiera has a lot of colors. That's why I asked. Looks like I'll need to learn to work with it.

To this point, I've never tried a wrap without CP, so I'm used to using it, and have learned how to work with Chromaseal.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: October 28, 2015 02:03PM

Gary, you're on the right track.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 05:29PM

Stick with Fuji...the colors will come...

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2015 12:26AM

I only commented about the thread trick as I know quite a few guys that use it and it seems to work. I have used it numerous times and I have never had a problem. And I say this as the other day I coated a rod wrapped with Madeira and in my absent mindness I did not put any thread in the finish and it fisheyed like crazy. I am no chemical expert, just passing along some info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster