I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guides in the field
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 27, 2015 06:28AM

I have cast these a little, but not fished them much. What do you guys think of the Microwaves in actual fishing conditions?

They seem to cast good, but time on the water is the real test. Going to build one this week and hope to fish this weekend. Light to medium freshwater type rods.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 06:30AM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guides in the field
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 27, 2015 08:03AM

I have built a number of bass rods, both spinning and casting, for me and my family. Some have quite a few years of pretty hard use on them. I've not had any trouble whatsoever with them. They cast well, the rods with them seem more sensitive compared with non-micro rods. I'v e not used them in icy conditions. They will not pass a double uni line to line knot very well or at all depending on size, but most pass the GT knot silently and smoothly. I have never had one loosen, break, or shed its ring. (AT and Fuji)

If I were building muskie rods or similar I would use something like size 6 double foot guides just to be sure of the structural integrity for a heavy duty application that really doesn't need the advantages that micros offer for lighter duty rods.

Posted by: Walt Stock (161.69.22.---)
Date: October 27, 2015 08:38AM

I'm in the process of changing all my spinning rods to the Microwave system; they're that good. I find them sturdy and have caught Largemouth, smallmouth, stripers and hybrid up to 25#. The stripper guide stands tall so caution must be taken about stepping on them.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: October 27, 2015 08:43AM

I've use them regularly. Me and a majority of my customers are 98% saltwater anglers. The guides do well with the inshore species and when you add the salt environment it adds a layer. Guides hold up well and get the job done.

Posted by: Dan Edwards (204.86.170.---)
Date: October 27, 2015 09:20AM

Aaron Martens is fishing them on the elite series and he seems to be doing quite well.

Posted by: Dean Fowler (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 27, 2015 10:15AM

I have been building custom rods for sometime. I use the microwaves on all of my rods and have put many 40 pound redfish in the boat with using braided line. All of my customers that have started using them love them.i also have never had one break a ring insert or have one come out also never had any problems out of frames. I highly recommend them and so do my customers.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 27, 2015 02:13PM

Sorry guys, I answered the question of "micros," not "Microwaves." Little difference in the answer, though. I've built a number of Microwave rods for others, just one for myself, and have little experience with it. But it works fine. The others who are using my Microwave rods have no complaints.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 27, 2015 05:27PM

I have built 2 medium light smallmouth spinning microwave rods for others. 1 year of fishing on these rods with no complaints. The rod I built for my self is a medium light spinner also, with 2 seasons of banging Pa. smallies and Canadian walleyes and no problems. I will probable use them more often in the future.

Rog

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 03:22AM

I have several spinning rods I have built using the Microwave guides, and am extremely pleased with their performance. The variety of sizes and styles will accommodate any fishing situation, and I have even seen where a Jigging Rod was wrapped in spiral fashion. I have a new set of Microwave 30's (mid-size between the originals and the CarpCasters) and can't wait to get them on a Steelhead rod...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster