I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

batson bp 1024/1025
Posted by: john gunn (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 26, 2015 03:38PM

Hi everyone,
just joined the forum, I'm over in the U.K, the rod building scene over here is very small scale, and the range of blanks available is pretty limited. I'm looking to build a light boat rod for "gilling" (using artificial imitation sandeel lures) over inshore reefs, tidal flow is light, maximum of about 1 knot on a spring tide so weights used are 3 or 4 ounce at most. The average size fish we encounter are around the 5lb mark (best fish this year for me was 16lb). Fish are mostly pollack, cod or bass, all put up a good fight but nothing exceptional. I've been checking out the rainshadow blanks either the BP 1024 or 1025, I'm wondering wether the 1024 will be to light for the type of fishing I've described or if the 1025 is to heavy, can anyone give me any advice before I make a decision

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: batson bp 1024/1025
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 08:04PM

I would go with the BP1024, the BP1025 will take a lot of the fun out of catching, you"ll have fun with the other and still handle bigger fish than you mentioned, jush have the drag adjusted right.

Curt

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 27, 2015 03:45PM

Mr. Gunn,
BP1024 is my suggestion for sure. The 1025 would indeed be overkill, and the 1024 will spank fish in that size range all day long. Shoot us an email if you need suggested builds or guide spacing. Take care.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: October 27, 2015 04:23PM

Mr Staples,
thanks for the reply, its good to have it "straight from the horses mouth", I was leaning towards the BP1024. The number of guides and spacings would be much appreciated

Date: October 27, 2015 04:42PM

Mr. Gunn,
Below are our suggested guide sizes and spacing measurements (casting configuration.) Enjoy building, enjoy fishing...

XBMXNLG07 3.75"
XBMXNLG07 7.75"
XBMXNLG07 12.25"
XBMXNLG07 17.25"
XBMXNLG08 23.5"
XBMXNLG08 30"
XBMXNLG10 37"
XBMXNLG10 45"
XBMXNLG12 54"
XBMXNLG16 63.5"

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: October 28, 2015 02:05PM

Mr Staples,
Thanks for the ring schedule. I have found an importer in the u.k who orders from you on a regular basis. He has expressed concern that the BP 1024 might struggle with 3to 4 ounce weight I expect to be using. The rod is rated to cast 2 ounces, so I can,t see that it will have any trouble using a 3 or 4 ounce weight particularly as it is only being "dropped" overboard, could you give me your thoughts on this please

Date: October 28, 2015 02:20PM

If you're not trying to cast the 3-4 ounces than I agree, there should be no issue. Folks in our area use the BP1024 to mooch (slow trolling) with and attache 5 or more ounce banana weights when necessary to get their gear down in heavy tides etc.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster