I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Identifying an unknown blank
Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 02:35PM

I'm starting a new thread because I hijacked my own thread a few days ago. I have multiples of these blanks from a deceased rodmaker and I'm trying to figure out who might have manufactured them. I will describe them as much as I can with as much detail as I can. I've also posted pics in the miscellaneous section of the photo page. These blanks are what I'm assuming is a higher quality S-glass possibly from as early as the late 60's (but that is a completely uneducated guess.) They are 1 pc blanks, 79.5" in overall length, tip is a tight 5.5/64ths (loose 6/64ths) butt diameter is .59" and the wall thickness is .14" at the butt. They are what I'm saying is a medium to a lighter medium heavy power with an action that I would say is a faster moderate to a slow moderate fast (approximately top 40%). These are very light in weight (I apologize because my scale battery is dead). They are a rich dark brown color in fluorescent indoor lighting and almost transparent or translucent in bright light. They are spiral wrapped with no exterior coating (at least not one that makes the feel of the spirals disappear). I've been beating up google the last few days looking for images, looking at old catalog descriptions and so far not turned up a whole lot (other than ID-ing the brand of some other blanks I'm going through.) I would even drive (within reason) to meet with someone who might give me some reliable data on them (I live in central Indiana for those local to me). I've got some feelers out to others I know. Please feel free to chime in. It might give me just the right lead on a google search. Here are the links for the pics
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Identifying an unknown blank
Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 04:50PM

They look like a fennglass by fenwick.

Date: October 19, 2015 05:21PM

Gary, I have a Fenglass blank here as well. Unless they had a couple of different "types" of Fenglass or a different finish over the years, it's not like the one I have on hand (it's a SP632). The color is slightly different and the Fenglass has a glossy smooth finish on it. Here's a pic comparing the mystery blank to a Fenglass and a E-glass Fenwick blank. Not saying you're wrong, it's just not like the one I have. Thanks for your input.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2015 05:54PM

Assuming the unsanded blank to the right is the one you are asking about, it's not a Fenwick nor is it S-Glass. It is an older glass model most likely made by any number of firms which could include Lamiglas, Rawhide, Fisher, E-Hille and some others. I recall having one in that color many years ago and it was a Lamiglas model from the very early 1970's.

Date: October 19, 2015 08:10PM

Thanks Tom, I had read your response on the other thread, added a couple new photos, started a new thread in case some of these other pics might spark a memory. I had tried googling some of the names you suggested and was hoping for a decent pic with a known blank. I had assumed that it was an S-glass blank mostly because it is so light in weight. Is there a way to discern between the e-glass and s-glass? I will continue to scour the net for pics. If there are any others that have a built rod or a blank with an intact label, I would love to see it.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 08:18PM

Unsanded Conolon rod blanks ...... I have several that I bought in Delaware both sanded but unfinished and unsanded. Conolon shut down in 1982. Here's a little 'background info'

[vintagerods.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 08:21PM by Ken Preston.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster