I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel size for SPSWB7M
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2015 10:07PM

Nearing completion on this rod [www.mudhole.com]. Butt wrap is done and under wraps complete and CPed. Over wraps and final CP next weekend and probably epoxy the following weekend. Hoping to fish it soon after.

I initially went with the recommended guide spacing, followed by a stress test. Ended up adding one extra guide and adjusting spacing for a smoother line flow. Using a 30-20-16-10-8-8-8 double footed setup with an 8 tip top. Will probably be using a 30 lbs braid.

If you have made one of these for yourself, what size reel do you like on it? I am looking at a Spinfisher Live Liner. Unfortunately, they don't make a 5500 LL, so it's either a 4500 or 6500. On that note, do the 5/6 series share a body? I.e. Can I get a 6500 and purchase a 5500 spool for it? The 4500 can apply up to like 20 lbs drag, so that should be plenty sufficient. I have a Fierce 4000 on another rod and looks maybe a tad small for this one, so I was just hoping to hear some opinions from guys who've fished it.

-Randy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 10:54PM by Randy Weakley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel size for SPSWB7M
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 10:40AM

Hello Randy.

I use mine for large Spanish and small king mackerels with live bait using 20# test mono and a light wire leader about 3'.
The reel I use is a 6000 Shimano Baitrunner.
I like the stretch I get with the mono on hard runs and sudden turns, less hook pulls.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 07:22PM

Bob, thanks for the reply. So that size feels comfortable with the rod? That's what I am leaning toward.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 22, 2015 11:19AM

Hello Randy.

I use the set-up for live bait slow trolling or float fishing live bait and the rod stays in the holder till I get a strike and the fish are (Hopefully) kind of large for the rod and line so you need lots of line and the 6000 gives me a good amount.

The reel seems a bit big until you start running out of line, I have an old 4500 Baitrunner that I would use if I was using braid but the braid is to low stretch for the hooks vs the power of the target fish (Small hooks to hold small live baits without impeding them to much).

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: September 22, 2015 03:41PM

I didn't realize there was such disparity between the 6000 size Shimano and the 6500 size Penn. The Penn holds 210 of 20 lbs test; the Shimano holds 170 of 16 lbs test. I think the Shimano more closely fits the size I was looking for. My ideal was around 200 of 15 lbs. I think the Penn would be uncomfortably large on this rod.

I have a Penn Pursuit 6000 and a Fierce 4000. I may just take both of those on my next trip and decide which feels better. It looks like the Shimano is right between those two anyways, which is kinda what I was looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster