I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dynamic analysis of blanks
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 13, 2015 11:29AM

Is anyone aware of a dynamic analysis of rod blanks ?
Most of what I've seen has been static analysis which is of very little use in assessing "feel".
This could be used to assess casting characteristics and "feel" of blanks.
Studies would compare affect of mass distribution versus acceleration to determine deflection of blanks under various acceleration loads.

Also what variables do you believe should be incorporated into such a study or model ?

Thanks,
Gene

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dynamic analysis of blanks
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 13, 2015 04:04PM

A useful analysis of a rod blank depends upon an analysis of the rod caster as well as the blank, guides, spacing, etc.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2015 06:38PM

Eugene, are you making fishing rods? or just trying to do some form of scientific study?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2015 06:39PM

If you use the Common Cents system and measure down to the CCF, you can get of an idea of "feel" when comparing blanks.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 13, 2015 07:43PM

Phil hit the nail right on the head. Regardless of the blank selected it is the finished product and the user that sets the dynamic characteristics.

The dynamic characteristics of a blank changes dramatically when the guides, tip and grips are installed plus the type of reel the line used and finally who is going to handle the finished product..

The rod blank is just one component of a finished rod. Knowing the characteristics of a blank does not mean the final product will retain these properties. One could take rod blank and change its dynamic characteristics with the use of different types of guides, thread wraps, epoxy and grips.

The "feel' of a rod is in the hands of the beholder. My sons favorite rod feels like a broom handle to me. I have had to build several rods using the same model blank to achieve the feel that I want.

Eugene you raise an interesting point and I would be interested in the results of such a study.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 13, 2015 07:43PM

Phil hit the nail right on the head. Regardless of the blank selected it is the finished product and the user that sets the dynamic characteristics.

The dynamic characteristics of a blank changes dramatically when the guides, tip and grips are installed plus the type of reel the line used and finally who is going to handle the finished product..

The rod blank is just one component of a finished rod. Knowing the characteristics of a blank does not mean the final product will retain these properties. One could take rod blank and change its dynamic characteristics with the use of different types of guides, thread wraps, epoxy and grips.

The "feel' of a rod is in the hands of the beholder. My sons favorite rod feels like a broom handle to me. I have had to build several rods using the same model blank to achieve the feel that I want.

Eugene you raise an interesting point and I would be interested in the results of such a study.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2015 08:10PM

Relative frequency is about as close as you'll get to discerning "feel" in a rod blank. Beyond that and you're into a subject that is so subjective it will be unlikely to bear worthwhile fruit.

While it sounds impressive to many, such a study would not yield data that would easily translate into "feel." It won't happen.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 13, 2015 10:53PM

If any of the manufacturer's see this, there will me a new marketing strategy and ploy out there

Ron Weber

Date: September 14, 2015 12:47AM

The term "dynamic" sounds impressive, but since that very dynamic involves the angler, where fishing rods are concerned at least, it fails the test on many levels.

Measuring the inherent properties of the rod remains the most practical method for determining those very properties relative to other rods, which when combined, provide the simplest and most effective means of determining "feel."

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 14, 2015 10:36AM

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Phil,
Yes the caster will require representation.
I'm currently considering single grip position, two grip position, torque input and time.
In addition the guide train weight and position will require impletation as well as their dynamic affect.
Also blank construction material, length, number of sections, ferrule design.
Have I missed anything ?

Randolph,
I hadn't considered making blanks but, it could be used for that purpose similar to St Croix's IPC.

Spencer,
Unfortunately CCF is implemented at only 1 G acceleration and only at horizontal position.
We output far more than 1 G of acceleration and input in planes other than horizontal.
CCF is also only a measurement tool and implies nothing about prediction.

John,
If I pursue the effort I will keep you appraised when I have applicable results.

Tom,
For a simple lever, though tedious, this can be accomplished.
I use the term dynamic precisely. What happens as the rod is accelerated and what are the affects of our
embellishments to the finished product while in use rather than stationary ?
Can these be predicted and or modified ? Are the results what we desired ?

If I missed anyone I will respond later.
Thanks, Gene

Date: September 14, 2015 11:05AM

"What happens as the rod is accelerated and what are the affects of our
embellishments to the finished product while in use rather than stationary ?"

I would hope any decent custom rod builder understands the effect that adding weight, and at any specific point along the blank, will have on momentum, inertia, etc. But I tend to doubt that pages and pages of such minutia would ever begin to serve the same practical nature regarding "feel" as do simple relative frequency numbers.

Nonetheless, I'm sure when you publish your results many will be anxious to take a look at them.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 14, 2015 12:11PM

We already get this kind of information in categorical form. The kinds of materials, construction methods, and actions serve to identify and group similar products within a mfg's vast selection of product offerings. Individual blank ratings further identify characteristics. I honestly don't think most rodbuilders could benefit from knowing individual blank characteristics presented in a scientific manner. If your goal is to compare one blank vs another without holding it in your hands, this doesn't really seem helpful to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster