I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber tube question
Posted by: Mike zurlo (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2015 05:11PM

Going through my parts and randoms, I came across a .98 12 in carbon fiber tube. I was going to make a straight Tennessee handle with it but was looking for inspiration/ideas to make something unique and different. Does any one have any ideas on things to do with this handle/tube??

Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber tube question
Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2015 05:22PM

I could see an inlaid auto/team emblem. maybe a small nine ball or even a small inlaid cue-yep I like pool! may do an inlay in butt cap also..the little coclorful hat p[ins may go well. hey you could put a bit of irish linen wrap/leather fore and aft of reel;/seat. that diameter tube should fit well with rear of 16, 17, 18 mm casting seats. I know some diameters match well. post pics when you get 'er done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2015 05:25PM by woody osborne.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: September 07, 2015 05:42PM

cut it and put in some really highly figured wood in there and on the ends. Or you could get some scrap Corian and turn it for accents.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2015 10:07PM

you could offset the handle to make it more ergonomically comfortable. like the one on the cover of Rodmaker Mag, Volume 10 Issue#4 or go even further and try the hot handle set up.

Date: September 07, 2015 11:40PM

I like a lot these ideas.
What exactly is a hot handle set up?

Date: September 08, 2015 06:24AM

Basically, it's a TN handle that is mounted offset so the blank resides along the top inside edge. And, it's completely open from end to end. This does away with the need for any arbors, making it super light. It also allows you to put a heat pack inside the handle during cold weather, if you wish. Thus the name, "Hot Handle."

Volume 11 Issue #2 Has a short article on it

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 06:14PM

Steve, always wondered....do use a little fiberglass cloth....or just reley on epoxy alone for bonding blank to carbon tube? If used for salt water what # class would you trust it too?

If a spinning rod.....is blank closer to reel stem or your palm?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 08, 2015 07:56PM

Russell; If goal is to only offset handle I have used fiberglass cloth but prefer graphite cloth. always against the palm. (for most people the palm is more sensitive then fingers)
When Building building specifically for hot handle purpose. I prefer to start with cloth and form both the inside and outside of handle. I have found the end product to have a much cleaner professional look.

I even did one where I put the reel foot in side the outer layer of cloth. Is awesome sensitive(I love the rod!) but because of the way the cloth weave pattern stretches n distorts around the reel foot it is not aesthetically pleasing.

In fact took to that rod to Mr. Kirkman's office to show him what I was working on and how my "looks wise" failed attempt turned out. Now it may be total coincidence. But the next issue of RodMaker Mag, had an article on "Fit and Finished" that I may have inspired by the lack of fit and finish on that rod.
Only he can say whether my theory is correct.

Date: September 08, 2015 08:02PM

Russel only use this set up on spinning rods.
If you offset then use an arbor in each end as outlined in the first article it will handle any weight class your blank will.

If using tubing to build hot handle with end open? I'm not sure, but have yet to have one fail.

If starting from cloth on inside and out again I would say it will handle any class the blank will. Now if I were building for marlin or thousand pound Tuna I would most likely add a couple layers of cloth for strength.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2015 08:56PM

Thank you Steve. You are kind to share your trade secrets. I do have that volume of rodmaker but doubt I can find it for a host of reasons. Didn't recall it being obvious you were "laying" up the handle from scratch with graphite cloth and epoxy. I'm thinking you would want some type of "form" to insure roundness of completed handle. Having some problems wrapping my mind around the process. Wishing I could see it in person.

Greatly admire your work ethic. Even a little ashamed "offshore" crowd is so resistant to change.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 09, 2015 09:12PM

Sounds like a awesome idea but in cold weather I stay in and build more rods. With the blank closer to the tube, does the rod feel a lot different?

Other question does any one happen to know if it would back up to a sk2 casting seat (trigger half) flush or close to it?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2015 11:22AM

The article on fit and finish was not inspired by anything Steve did or didn't do. Most of his work I've seen has been pretty darn good.

Proper fit and finish is just a common aspect of custom rod building that is overlooked by many who can't figure out why their rods don't demand top dollar. Among that type clientele, it's the little things that either make you or break you. The fact that it appeared in the subsequent issue to the one with Steve's handle it in was pure chance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster