I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7 Wt. 11' swich rod build
Posted by: Matt Burlison (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: August 14, 2015 01:35PM

Hi, I was wondering if i could get some info on guide sizes using single foot guides. I was thinking about using the REC heavy duty sinle foot in particular. I have the guide spacing and sizes for snake style giudes and the chart looks like this 16-12-10-strippers and then snakes - 6-5-4-3-3-3-3-3-3 - tip. The largest REC single foot is a 6 and im unsure if they would be big enough but if done with single foot recs this was what I was thinking 16-12-10- strippers then single foots 6-6-6-6-5-5-5-5-5-tip. Any suggestions on tip size large or extra large ? Any in put would be greatly appreciated if I went with snakes they would be the Hopkins and Holloway or the Recoil snakes. Thank you for your time I look forward to hearing about your thoughts and or experience.

Thanks
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7 Wt. 11' swich rod build
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2015 12:10AM

Hi,
I build a lot of TH rods.
Size 4 REC SF or snakes are fine. Definitely would not go with #5.
Large tip-top ring is good.
No for the H&H. Go with either the REC Recoil snakes or Snakebrand universals in #4. Actually #3's would work also.
Also - really do not need the 3rd "Stripper". You can go right to a runner.
Herb

Date: August 15, 2015 02:38AM

Hi Herb, Thanks for your responce, its nice to see your involement on this site and hopefully this could answer some ones else questions pertaining to switch rod builds. I have spent countless hours lurking on here and have not seen alot of info pertaning to single foot guides on switchs. I have however noticed that you have quite a few posts were you have helped folks, I thank you for that. A little back ground on me, im fairly how should i say "renewed" into rod building and alot has change since my last 7 ft 3 wt build. Now I have the task of building two rods one for my son and one for my cousin and I thought @#$%& why im at it i should build me one LOL. The blanks that I will be ordering are MHX's, two will be 9ft 5wts and the the 11' switch. The 9 foots were all of 10 maybe 15 minutes to figure out but the switch has had my wife wondering what im doing on the interweb reading so much. May I ask for a layout from you using singles? Would this work 16-12-5-5-5-then 4s the rest of the way out? im interested to see if im on the right track. Thank you again Herb you have a wonderful night.

Matt

Date: August 15, 2015 07:50AM

Hi Matt,
I think we who build fly rods overthink guide placement and sizes. Listen to Tom when he says "smallest to allow knots".
Spinning rods are more challenging because of the way the line comes off spool. But not fly rods so much - and any line slap and wrapping can be prevented by rotating rod 90 degrees upon release.
You still need good guide placement for blank support, however. but any flex test will give you that. So test casting, IMO, is not necessary with a fly rod.
Your last comments re sizes are good - IMO.
I have been experimenting with guide sizes and some of my favorite performing fly rods have smaller guides and tip-top ring than I have previously used or are generally recommended. i.e. #3 Snakebrand Universals on a #10 saltwater fly rod. And I rarely, if ever, use #20 stripper on my personal fly rods and I use mostly 10 weights. I think the last time I used a #20 stripper was on a 12'9" heavy duty fly rod surf-specific for 800 grain Skagit lines.

Regards,
Herb

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2015 10:25AM

Matt you have never stated what type of fishing you are going to do with this switchrod.? If you are going to use this rod for steelhead in the winter (witch is very common) then I would say go with Recoil snakes. They are a lot easier to remove ice!

Don

Date: August 15, 2015 11:54AM

Matt,
Don has a good point about ice that I never face.
You will need larger runners if that is a factor.
Herb

Date: August 15, 2015 12:41PM

Generally no ice for me unless it's in a tent on the hard deck :) I'm going to use it for fall steel head then it's going to be the big nasty fly chucker for the Green river above flaming gorge and below the damn. Thoughts are to be able to cover a lot of water swingin and strippin. That's kinda sounded a little off hahaha hope the wife don't see this post. Id Like to throw big articulated streamers!

Date: August 15, 2015 03:21PM

Have fun.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster