I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Messed up bad
Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.19.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 10:12PM

I was finishing the but wrap of a rod and I really messed it up. Never had this happen so was wondering how to fix it. It has tiny bubbles, has low spots, and has bits of it that look like the thread had frayed a bit. Rod Dancer two part with only one coat. What is the best way of fixing this without having to cut it off? I am thinking sanding but do not want to mess it up worse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Messed up bad
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2015 10:29PM

Most likely you need to apply another coat as neatly as you can. That will provide some depth in order to allow you to shave or sand a bit. That's the problem with sanding when you don't have enough depth - you can easily get into the thread and then you'll have a real mess. So try to build some depth before you attempt any sanding.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 10:31PM

I'm afraid it is best to strip if off and do over.
Bubbles can happen many ways.
If thread looks frayed - it is.
Low spots happen when you don't drag finish fore and aft over area to level finish. It will level around blank by itself - but not longitudinally.
Herb

Date: August 13, 2015 04:04AM

I am going to go ahead and put another coat on, sand, and if that does not fix it I will re do it. Thanks for the help

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 01:18PM

Ben,
Rather making the problem worse, I agree with Herb, and that is to cut your losses, cut off the guides and start over.

If you have bubbles and junk in your finish, when you put a 2nd coat on it, you are going to have bubbles and junk deeper into the finish that will be more difficult to remove when you cut off the guides to start over.

Also, as Herb stated - if it looks like you have frayed thread, it is frayed and you need to throw away that spool of thread that you were using, or if it is being caused by your tension device, repair or replace your tension device.

As the finish begins to set, look over each guide very closely under very bright light with magnification. If you see bubble - get rid of them, before the finish sets. If you don't. then cut off the guide right then, before the finish cures, so that you can do it more easily. If you have bubbles in the first coat of finish, they will be there for ever, no matter the number of coats that you put on the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 01:43PM

Before you cut it off, try heating it with a heat gun or a heat lamp. When the epoxy is fresh you have a better chance of bringing it back to a liquid state with a little heat.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 02:01PM

Dennis,
I would not suggest that you use heat to try to move epoxy - after it has set overnight. By using a great amount of heat, you will likely soften the finish a bit. But you will not get it liquid with a great amount of heat but you are likely to make the blank liquid with a great amount of heat.

Heat works before the finish has cured, but no to liquify it after it has set.

Try if you like, but be careful of the blank with too much heat. I just mention it, because when removing guides from old blanks that I did not want, I have virtually destroyed several blanks, especially near the tip with way too much heat. I recovered the guides nicely - which was my goal, but there was nothing left of the blank after excess heat.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 02:03PM by roger wilson.

Date: August 13, 2015 02:41PM

I had already put another coat on and it seems to have leveled out alright. Thanks for the help everyone

Posted by: Rob Warren (---.east.dsl.telkomsa.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 02:47PM

Hi Ben
The epoxies we are using do need to work within certain conditions ie temp humidity and above all the enviroment changes thru the curing cycle.The bubbles are curable during the cycle using 2 methods that I know off Heat and Carbon dioxide.(try this, breath out over the wrap and the bubbles will pop).The epoxies we use have a very low heat distortion temperature and slow curing times so rather take more time in the application of the hibuild than deal with the aftermath.
Regards
Rob

Date: August 13, 2015 05:55PM

Thanks, I put my heat lamp on the wrap this time and it seemed to have helped

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 06:03PM

Unless you loaded the finish on you may still need one or two more coats
I take it this is an open wrap where the blank shows they are the lows and several coats will fill them

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster