I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

colors to match john deere
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 10, 2015 09:58PM

Ok guys, I have been pouring through colors to find a match for John Deere green and yellow. I have an almost direct match from Maderia, however they are going to require color preserver and honestly, I hate the stuff. Do you all have a suggestion of a color fast thread that will match without using color preserver? It seems every time that I use it I get blotches and all sorts of other stuff regardless of how tight I pack the darn thread.

I've checked, Makoi, ProWrap,all of my remaining Guidebrod NCP and haven't found anything that will work out.

Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: colors to match john deere
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 11, 2015 02:54AM

Hum, Never had a problem with color preserver. I reduce the first coat slightly soak well, Dry over night, then a full strength coat in the morning, I use American Tackle color preserver thats pretty darn old still works fine for me. What are you using?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.177.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 11, 2015 06:04AM

Have you checked out FishHawk's Colorlok colors or Fuji's NOCP? If not see if those thread manufacturers give you those iconic colors. In regards to the Color Preserver I am also curious as to what type you are using? I have had problems in the past with a certain brand and found it was due to saturation issues, so I "lightened" up on my coats and went with several extremely light light light coats and that for me has stopped issues like you have had.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 11, 2015 11:37AM

One thing for sure...... you will have to use NCP thead to get the same color and shade as the John Deere color. They use paint and regular nylon thread with or without cp is not going to look like that. Use NCP thread whatever you do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2015 01:08PM

Tom,
I agree with you on the dislike of color preserver and or the use of NCP thread. I just don't care for the final appearance of rods finished using this system. I much prefer the semi translucent look that you get with nylon, uncoated thread on rod builds.

But, unfortunately, if you want a true green and true yellow, you will likely be forced to use either CP or the NCP type thread.

If you want to go with nylon, just keep testing lighter colors to see what their final shade will be when coated.

To test, I just do a quick test wrap and wet it down with alcohol. When wet with alcohol, the color on the soaked nylon thread will be very close to the final color using no cp and using thread finish.

Good luck

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 11, 2015 08:22PM

Hi guys, thank you all for the great suggestions, I am using some old gudebrod that I have had for a LONG time, it is quite possibly the root of all my evil as the experiences that I have had with it left me cold and I haven't tried any other versions. I have multiple bottles of it and all have the same mixed results.

What would you all suggest for a top notch color preserver. I will need to check out the fish hawk line up again thanks for the reminder.

thanks again for all the help.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster