I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Exposed Seats and Clean-Up
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 07:49AM

Looking at some blank exposed seats with multiple cut-outs. They look nice, but also look like the clean-up after gluing could be a pain. Any thoughts on seats of this type? Don't see any way of gluing them well, without having to do clean up at each blank exposed spot.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Exposed Seats and Clean-Up
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 08:46AM

Marc,
Yes, the installation of reel seats with multiple cuts outs are a pain.
One way to ease the pain a bit is to use 15 minute epoxy, rather than 5 minute epoxy.

The longer cure time makes it easier to clean up any excess glue.

I just use alcohol and a tooth brush to remove any excess glue. Of course it helps you, if you only put on sufficient glue for the application, rather than a bunch of extra glue that needs to be removed after the installation.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 09:14AM

Marc,

They can be a little more challenging to get cleaned up after gluing; but don't worry about it. Like Roger says, use a toothbrush and alcohol to clean up the most of the epoxy. I then use a paper towel soaked in alcohol to clean up the excess and then come back with a Q-Tip and clean around the edges. I use U-40 Fast Cure and don't have any problems with cleaning them up. Just get on them fast. If you have to rotate the reel seat to get it line up as you want, make sure you go back and check for a little epoxy that might have been exposed around the edges of the cut outs.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 09:37AM

A fairly tight, dry fit will go a long way toward making the install easier. If your seat-to-blank fit is slightly lose the seat will want to move during clean-up. Even a small bit of movement will require you to clean the "windows" again...and again. I have been known to get close to the perfect fit on the small side and ream the seat just a whisker to get the firm fit I need. Be careful not to burr the edges of the window(s). Roughing up the ID of the seat will also provide a better bond.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 11:13AM

Mark one suggestion I would have is to use a gel epoxy instead of liquid. That has been the easiest I have found to clean up and with ample time to do the same. It shows up better than liquid as well. The only draw back is its time constraints.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2015 11:30AM

The gel types certainly won't run or seep out of the assembly and you have the option of the quick setting 10-15 minute type or the 2-hour type.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 12:52PM

Alcohol can thin the epoxy and cause it to seep out. I found it best to wipe with lint free paper towels (Kimberly Clark Scott Shop Towels) and keep the alcohol away until the ROD BOND starts to set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster