I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spline and winding check questions
Posted by: Miles Miller (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2015 11:13AM

Hey everyone! I finally ordered supplies from Mudhole to start building again. I have two questions regarding the CRB Special IM6 5'6" rod kit.

The reel seat is a 17mm, not a usual 16mm. I am wanting to replace the foregrip with a tapered rubber winding check, and I ordered 16mm in various ID sizes. The 7mm fits, but it doesn't look right. I have a basic 17mm vinyl winding check that cleans up the odd look, so I'm thinking I will do that. Haso anyone done something like this? And would I just use 5 minute epoxy to secure it with the reel seat?

The next question is the spline. It seems as though there is a spline/resistance point on both sides of the blank, straight across from each other. I checked it with and without rear grip on it. Anyone experience this before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spline and winding check questions
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.254.---)
Date: July 12, 2015 12:28PM

Not sure I understand the winding check issue, if it looks right, do it, and yes, 5 min epoxy is fine. I seldom use winding checks, but used to use the vinyls. what I would do was to set them with the epoxy as you propose, then when finishing the decorative winding that is right in front of them, finish the check also. Never had an issue doing that, and they almost disappear in the epoxy filet.

RE the spline, yes, I've seen that. Many builders ignore the spline and build on the straightest side when viewed from above. Or you can build on either one of the splines, or even off the splines if you want. You'll get a lot of opinions on that subject.

Date: July 12, 2015 12:37PM

I researched the spline and I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought. I figured out the winding check issue, as well. Can I post a picture to this thread or do I need to go to the picture gallery?

Date: July 12, 2015 02:38PM

Picture gallery. Hit the "photos" button above.

Date: July 14, 2015 12:09PM

Well I was wrong :/

The secondary winding check won't stay in place even when I tried to glue it. It's not a big gap so I'm thinking I can just do a thread wrap to cover the tapered winding check up to the front of the reel seat. I am posting a picture in the gallery, any ideas would be great! Thanks everyone for all the help so far!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2015 03:42PM

There is a rubber plug that Pacific Bay supplies to insert into the end of the nylon type seats, both in size 16 and 18. You can easily bore a hole in it to fit the blank and then simply wrap right up to it. It's a much neater and more trim looking solution than what you have now, although you can make what you have work by simply wrapping a band of thread to the fore of the reel seat and sliding the winding hosel over the top of the thread.

Date: July 14, 2015 04:51PM

I get it now, Miles. Don't the Batson decorative winding checks, the Fuji ones, and the ones on Mudhole all fit a size 16 seat and can be ordered in specific sizes for the blank?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 14, 2015 07:32PM

You can try a wrap of thread under that check to see if it tighens it up If A is too small then try D

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster