I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Janns Finish one part
Posted by: Mark Goverd (---.vpnbook.com)
Date: June 26, 2015 10:23AM

Janns sells a one part finish comes in a glass bottle. Advertised for thread wraps. Has anyone used this product and if so did you like it and how many coats does it take to get about the thickness as one coat of Flex Coat regular build? Thx.

Re: Janns Finish one part
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 10:25AM

Mark,
Buy a bottle, and do some test wraps and let us know your results.

Be safe

Date: June 26, 2015 10:30AM

If someone else has already done it, then I might choose to try some or not. That's what I came here to ask about. Has anyone here already tried it and what did they think. I would hope that one purpose of a message board like this one is so people who are unfamiliar with a product might be able to ask and receive some feedback from others who have already tied a product.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 10:37AM

Well said Mark!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-102.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 10:43AM

I don't remember the name of it but assume it's the same product now as it was a year ago. I bought some and tried it on a few repairs. Good product but much thinner than epoxy. You would need a half dozen coats or more to get the same depth as a usual coat of FC. Dried enough for another coat in about thirty minutes. Final product was clear and tough but not as hard as something like Permagloss. Only reason I stopped using it was the damn glass jar and metal lid. If you didn't get them both cleaned with a solvent really well before you put the lid back on you had to use pliers to get it off the next time. Maybe not a deal breaker but a hassle anyway. I assume it comes in a glass jar because it has some type of solvent in it that would eat plastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 10:44AM by Ken Finch.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2015 10:57AM

Mark,

I know they sell both Lumiseal and Permagloss. These are moisture cure urethanes. They will go on thin, dry fast, and result in more flexible and scratch resistant finish that epoxy. Usually 2-3 coats will protect the thread. It takes many coats to build up the depth of Flex Coat high build. Personally, I prefer the results of the urethanes, but I tend to not use them because of the solvent fumes. With the little ones running around, I try to keep my solvent uses to a minimum, and those products will fill a space quickly with fumes. The other downside is storing the urethanes. As soon as they are exposed to moisture in the air, they begin to cure. If you don't take steps to combat the issue, they will cure in the bottle and not be usable the next time you need them. Of the 2, I've only use LS, and was more than happy with the results.

Do they sell another option that I'm not aware of?

If you are wanting to explore single coat solutions, there is RodDancer Varnish and Thread Master One. The varnish is easier to work with, sort of like PG or LS, but it doesn't dry as fast or use a nasty solvent. It also isn't as durable of a finish as PG or LS either, but certainly serviceable. The Thread Master One results in a better looking finish than the varnish. I use TM One for repair jobs. I'm yet to use it on a full rod, but once you get used to using it, it's not too bad.

In the end, if aesthetics are important, the 2 part epoxies will generally win the beauty pageant. The one part finishes have niches, places, and times, and can make for great tools to add to the tool box.

Date: June 26, 2015 11:52AM

Yes they have their own house brand one part and its not either of the two you mentioned.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 11:52AM

There are about 5 or more on there site Find the name and I am sure some one here has tried it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 07:56PM

Great post, Joe. It makes the point very well that "best" is hard to define because it depends on what one is trying to accomplish, plus personal preferences, plus environmental issues (not wanting fumes around kids), plus plus plus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster