I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice for applying epoxy to ferrule wraps?
Posted by: Mike Reeser (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2015 10:52AM

I am building on a 4 piece 4WT Sage TXL-F blank and have put a small wrap with trim band on the ferrules. My question is are there any tips to epoxy the ferrules that will get the epoxy right up to the edge of the female end but not spill over onto the male end of the lower section while the epoxy is applied and / or is drying? I thought about taping off the male end berore applying the epoxy?? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice for applying epoxy to ferrule wraps?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 11:11AM

I put a piece of scrap blank into the section wrapped with tape Also making a stop of 1/4" tape right up against the ferrule Not so tight that it will not move Then several hours I turn the section of scrap to make sure it is not gluing into the rod Turn The Section the Correct direction
May be much But I have had to remove a glued section

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2015 11:38AM

I've never had any spill over. If you're even remotely neat about the application, you can apply the epoxy to the very edge and be fine.

The only trouble with inserting anything into the ferrule opening, is that if you do have some spill, the two pieces tend to become "glued" to each other.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: June 18, 2015 11:52AM

I use tape on the male portion of the rod or scrap. If you are uneasy about tape, use wax paper.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 12:28PM

That is why I do not make it Tight in the first place and check after so many hours to make sure
The 1/4" tape is a stop to be sure it does not spill over it is pressed and turned to make sure it reses against the blank and seals
Reading about how some put on too much thread on wraps this will happen on the ferrules also
Plus the section is to go on the turner and hold the rod I would not want to hold a tip and have it break or something stupid happen

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 02:31PM

As Chris has said, use tape or wax paper.
I always use wax paper to hold either the pieces together, or use a piece of scrap in the joint while applying finish. I have never had it come over, but the finish will not stick to wax paper. Just take a piece of wax paper and wrap it around the piece that will go into the joint.

The wax paper will keep anything from sticking even if there happens to be a misapplication of the finish. If you would happen to get too much finish on and overlap the joint, an exacto knife will easily trim the finish back to the edge of the blank.

Be safe

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 10:33PM

steady hand and surface tension, never had an issue and almost all I build are multi piece rods.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 09:18AM

Or, if you have scrap blank peices, insert one in each of the female ferrules,
but "backwards" so the larger end will go up inside part way before "grabbing" the ID of the blank.
Then if any accidently gets over the edge,
it will just drip onto the :skinny" part of the blank that is not actually touching the ID at the open end of the rod you are finishing.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster