I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Float and Fly rod blank
Posted by: Joe Threlkeld (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 02:18PM

Hi What blanks would be good for float and fly fishing? I am thinking about an MHX ST1262 Steelhead Rod Blank what do you think good or bad?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float and Fly rod blank
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 05:51PM

Are you talking about fly fishing while floating or what? I don't quite understand what type of rod you wish to build. Fly or Centerpin type?

Date: June 09, 2015 06:15PM

I want a rod for bass fishing using a float and a small jig not a fly rod.

Thanks

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 08:46PM

float and fly fishing for bass typically involves a small hair or feather jig (1/16 or 1/32 oz) under a small float (typically 6 to 10 feet under).

So you'll need a long blank that can handle small weights and light lines. Fly rods are probably too soft, but I imagine some 8 to 10 foot steelhead blanks may do the trick. Figure on 2 to 6 pound test for this type of fishing.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 01:43PM

I would use an 11' to 13' noodle blank rated for 2-8# test line.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2015 10:18PM

Hey Joe
I have a CTS Float blank that may fit your needs.
It is a 13'0" for 2-4lb, 3 piece.
It has some manufacturing sanding scratches in its raw carbon finish.
The list price is over $300. Beecause of the scratches I will sell to you for $125.
Regards,
Herb Ladenheim
CTS Distributer
Hladen@hotmail.com

Date: June 15, 2015 10:29AM

Thanks Herb but I think that would be to long and maybe to light. From the research I have done it seems like it needs to be 9' to 11' and 4 to 8 lb. line.

Thanks

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2015 09:25PM

I also have a 9"0" 4pc that may work for you. I am on Cape Codfor balance of June. Will advise linewsightearly July.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster