I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

20X
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 03:08PM

Accepting the fact that the 27X system is a great all around NGC system and works very very well with just about any reel or line size and type, even Tom has said that if you know that the line you will be using is very light or supple you can probably pull the choker guide back closer to the reel. I have been doing some testing over the last year with trial and error for NGC rods built to be fishing only with light braided lines and averaging my choker guide location I have found it to be 20X from the reel spool. I can't say these will cast better than the same line on a 27X set up but they at least do as well and this usually lets me choke down one guide quicker which gets a little more weight off the middle to upper end of the rod. Try it you might like it.

Only downside which should be obvious is that if you choke down by 20X then if the fisherman decides to go back to mono or flouro he or she may find that the rod then casts less well than if the choker had been located by 27X. Just something to pass along for anyone that might want to try it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 20X
Posted by: Garry Thornton (184.151.37.---)
Date: May 29, 2015 03:46PM

Thanks for this. For us light weight braid only guys, this is Brilliant!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 03:53PM

What about doing it at say 23 or 24X Maybe this will work for both Do another year of testing and let us know how it works
Have you tried Fuji's system

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 29, 2015 03:54PM

There you go. Check out the 5th post down on this thread from 2010.

[rodbuilding.org]

Date: May 29, 2015 04:22PM

Any thing in rod building can be adjusted to the builder Move guides around and if you get better performance Nothing is written in stone

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-102.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 04:22PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about doing it at say 23 or 24X Maybe this
> will work for both Do another year of testing and
> let us know how it works
> Have you tried Fuji's system

Bill I think you're missing the whole point. It works great at 27X, so my goal was to see how much closer I could bring the choker in before I started noticing any loss of performance. I have no doubt that 23 or 24X would work, since 20X works, but if you can get by with having it closer, then I think you should do so. That takes out one of the larger guides and reduces weight on the upper half of the rod. Now I will grant you that if I do not know for sure what type line my customer will be using then I will stick with 27X to be on the safe side. But for some and for me, because I only use braid now, I can safely go with 20X and don't seem to be losing any performance.

Date: May 29, 2015 04:32PM

That is why I said Nothing is written in stone and playing with any systen you may find you can get a Little more from it I was just playing with ya on the doing another year of testing Hope ya didn't mind

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 06:42PM

Thanks for the tip! May I ask what braid and what pound test you would suggest? I've been an ultra light mono fisherman most of my life but interested in switching things up.

Date: May 29, 2015 07:30PM

I use 4 lb spiderwire I think it is the only 4 lb out there I have not looked for another and used this for years The first time I cast it the line just shot thought the guides There may be another I was looking for a 2 lb but at the time could not fine any

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 08:12PM

I like the Suffix product. Pound test is up to you. Lots of good braided lines out there. Only problem you may have is finding a really light pound test in braid. The stuff is STRONG.

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 29, 2015 09:55PM

Thanks guys! I'll pick up a spool of both and give it a shot.

Thanks again, Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2015 09:11AM

I am sure that those folks who have used light braid a lot, it generally works better if the spinning reel that you use with this light braid uses a pretty significant cross wrap when the line is wound back on the spool. By having a fairly significant cross wrap, the light and thin line is less likely to dig into the coils.

This is the reason that many folks who use braid on casting reels only use heavier braid. i.e. many casting reel do not have a significant cross wrap in the line winding and thus, really thin lines tend to dig deeply into the spool and have a tendency to catch and jam up on the cast. But for those users of casting reels, this problem is eliminated by using braid of at least 20-30 lb test - which tends to be the standard anyway for those who use casting reels.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 30, 2015 09:19AM

I have done a number of rods with Y and Fuji tall guides starting with smaller than usual first guides ( 16 one the Fujis, 20 on the Y's) and only one other reduction guide. With braids of 15# or less they work just fine. Have not tried them on other lines.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 30, 2015 07:10PM

Bill, I'm stumped, can't help myself, have to ask. Why do you want a 2 pound test line?

Date: May 31, 2015 10:30AM

I did what to try it Yet could not find it in 2 LB Rod is for trout crappy and with the 4LB I pull in some nice bass with it Never tried to break the 4 LB but Would Not wrap around my fingers to try that Stuff is really strong

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 01, 2015 09:39AM

How does 20X compare to GPS for KR Concept?

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-102.net)
Date: June 01, 2015 09:52AM

Not sure. Will have to plug in some numbers on my next rod project and see how they compare.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2015 05:05PM

Jim,

You've got mail :)

Joe

Date: June 01, 2015 05:25PM

Ken

Would not test casting tell you what you need to know ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: June 02, 2015 08:25AM

I fish 4 lb. Nanofil through Microwave guides all the time. The system will let you move up or down with line wt, or reel size and still perform consistently. I would go to the 2 lb on my spinning rods if I could see it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster