I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat High Build UV - Cure Time?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 01:20PM

Anyone use the UV formula much here, and how long do you find it needs to cure before being non-tacky? Assume room temp of 70 degrees?

I have had some odd issues, with some guides being cured and others still tacky on the same rod.

Measuring with syringes, and mixing at least 6 minutes with an epoxy mixer, so I don't think there should be an issue in measuring and mixing.

Thanks,

Marc

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat High Build UV - Cure Time?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 01:37PM

I use it and like it - But I thin my high build and what ever it is outside it is inside I guess I average 4 - 5 hours
Leave a thin coat in your cup and check it there not on the rod
Don't be in a hurry and take it off to soon I wate till it is NOT tacky at all I have had to sand and recoat cause of taking it off too early

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 05:19PM

I've had some issues with the UV High Build and stopped using it. I find it's so thick that unless you warm it up a lot the mixer ball will only spin around in the cup. I tried thinning some but find that the regular High Build just easier to use. I also seem to entrap some fine air bubbles during the application that stay against the thread and won't come to the surface. Just too viscous for my taste and skill level!
I bought the UV formula by accident, that'll teach me to read the label little closer!
Watch your mixing closely.

TJB

Date: May 09, 2015 06:31PM

I have been using it for as long as it came out and have not had any problems with it
IF you read this post try the light

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2015 10:31PM

When you have some guides that are tacky, and others that aren't, I wonder if you are picking up your epoxy from the same cup in which you stirred it? It is possible to pick up some slightly unmixed material from the cup edges here and there. For that reason, it's often wise to pour your mixed epoxy out on foil and pick up from there before transferring to the guide wraps.

Date: May 14, 2015 09:47AM

I mix in a cup with a half a popsical stick I tilt the cup scrap the sides while turning the cup as I mix Seems to work well

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster