I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
missing issue
Posted by: Jack Tener (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 12:21PM

Still no Rod Maker, I think if I don't get it this week, I'll just not renew. Something is definitely wrong with the system.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: missing issue
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2015 12:56PM

The magazine is always mailed on time, every time. USPS ships and delivers your magazine. Their "system" gets 98% of the magazines to the readers in 4 or so weeks. And it's not late.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.reserved.pmt.org)
Date: May 06, 2015 01:03PM

I have been a subscriber for about 10 years now and only had 1 issue fail to arrive as scheduled and a replacement was sent out ASAP when I let the publisher know I had not got it. The replacement issue arrived then shortly afterward, the original issue came and was all beat up and it appeared that it had gotten lost in the mail delivery truck or something.

No system is perfect but the RMM track record is outstanding. Instead of whinning about it on a forum just contact Tom or your area RMM supplier if you live outside the USA get replacement sent out. Sorry you have to wait a bit longer but it's not the end of the world although being an RMM addict myself, it sure feels like a catastrofee!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (172.243.127.---)
Date: May 06, 2015 01:16PM

Just received mine yesterday. I'm in Western Michigan.

Date: May 06, 2015 03:17PM

The USPS mailing "system" isn't under my control, but no subscriber ever goes without a magazine they have paid for. If the idea was to worry me about someone not renewing because the postal system is taking longer than they think it should, well, it didn't work.

Posted by: Ron Jack (---.port.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 03:19PM

X2 what Raymond said. I live in Maine and haven't received mine yet - but will be here shortly.

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2015 03:51PM

I think my mailman has "borrowed" several copies of my RM.... Tom has always taken care of me right away.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 04:02PM

I don't understand some people's thinking or idea of how best to get things done. Once in several years I have had a magazine arrive badly molested. Wet, torn pages. Unreadable. I E-mailed Tom and asked for another and even offered to pay for it. He said it wasn't my fault and sent me another copy. It never once dawned on me that I'd get better results by coming on this forum and threatening not to renew and trying to make Tom look bad as if the Postal Service system is something he can control.

Seems like it would have been better and more productive to just E-mail Tom, ask him when the next issue was due and then alert him if it did not arrive within the allotted time. I know how I would react to this type behavior but I know from experience that Tom has a lot more patience than I do!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 04:17PM

If this is the First Issue he is getting I can understand --- But --- If he has gotten several issues he should have a good idea of when it will arrive Like Tom has said many times people get it at different times

Then again like said e-mailing Tom would be the right thing to do

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 04:18PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2015 07:06PM

I'm in California, and still have not gotten mine, but have always received it eventually. Postal service is not under Tom's control !! Threats are not productive !

Date: May 06, 2015 07:12PM

I did a little math just now. In the 18 years RodMaker has been in production, I have mailed just over 1.24 MILLION copies of the magazine. Every issue has been printed and mailed on time, every time. Just over 98.5% of those issue have reached the subscribers in good condition, within the allotted pre-sorted class mailing timeline. The relatively few that were lost, damaged, etc., were misplaced on my dime by first class mail once I was notified. I'd say the system has and is working exceptionally well.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2015 07:43PM

I understand how far it hast to travel to get to some places.,and there for it may take a bit longer.

I live less then and hour and half from RodMaker's offices and mine has yet to show up. So I would expect yours to be awhile before it gets there.

But if you are really troubled by the time frame from mailing to receiving your mag. Email me your address and I will refund your money out of my pocket so I don't have to read petty complaints like this on what is an other wise incredible web site.

Date: May 06, 2015 08:17PM

The pre-sorted standard class moves through geographic APO centers. It does not all move at the same rate nor time period. More traffic through an APO results in that mail moving faster than through centers where there is less traffic at that time. This is why some get it in two weeks, others get it two or three weeks later.

But even then, the current issue isn't late to anyone, yet.

Posted by: james devine (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2015 08:18PM

Mine came today in Ohio, Like Tom said, it always gets here.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 07, 2015 09:52AM

As someone with some inside knowledge of the inner workings of the post office, another factor that hasn't been mentioned is that often bulk mail sits at your local post office for varied lengths of time. Your individual postmaster has some control, within predetermined delivery parameters, as to when the bulk mail goes out.

With Bulk mail, variables like the size of the post office, number of delivery points, staffing, staff vacations and substitute delivery personnel, weather, storage space for bulk mail at the post office, % of walking and driving delivery routes, and a myriad of other factors can influence when within the delivery window an individual bulk mailing will get delivered.

In one post office it may be most efficient to send out bulk mail as it arrives with the carrier on their normal daily route. In another post office, it may be more efficient to hold bulk mail for a brief period of time to warrant bringing on an extra person or two and running an adjusted bulk delivery route spread across an extra carrier or two.

In another post office it may mean staffing an extra clerk or sorter to get the bulk mail distributed into individual destination bundles.

Many of us think from the post office ads that all mail is treated like first class mail, but in reality it's not. If there was no forum to post and compare from one person to another, probably none of us who tend to get our magazines later than other people would never know.

Tom's track record as the publisher of the magazine is excellent. If there is a specific problem with delivery to an individual the problem exists in your local post office. That is the place to express your concerns.

And for the record, I haven't received mine yet. Most likely, my carrier will enjoy it during his lunch break one of the next few days when it finally gets sent out for him to deliver.

Posted by: Don Diddums (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: May 07, 2015 01:29PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The USPS mailing "system" isn't under my control,
> but no subscriber ever goes without a magazine
> they have paid for. If the idea was to worry me
> about someone not renewing because the postal
> system is taking longer than they think it should,
> well, it didn't work.
>
> .................

Most magazines are mailed "2nd class" and the Postal Service gives them priority right behind "1st class" and priority class mail while "RodMaker" is mailed at the cheaper "bulk rate" so the Postal Service works it when they get around to it. Should you move and haven't changed your address with the publisher the Postal Service will not forward bulk rate mail but they will send ' 2nd class" mail to your new address.

They finally got around to mine 4 days ago.

Date: May 07, 2015 03:12PM

In other words, you got your magazine on time.

The magazine is published and mailed 6 times per year. Mailing at a different rate or class would not change that. You'd still get 6 issues per year, two months between issues. Plus, we're not having any mailing difficulties now.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2015 05:02PM

What's going on is you publicized the magazine shipped a month ago, and everyone is used to getting things within a week after something is shipped. So people are waiting and waiting and waiting and think something is wrong. I mean it cant' really be too difficult to understand why every 2 months the same few posts pop up, for 15 years? It's a pretty slick promotional ploy, put the post out there, make people eager to get the magazine, let them post where's the magazine and it gets a lot of buzz and makes everyone else want the magazine too. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not rocket science to figure out what is going on, on either side of the coin here.

Date: May 07, 2015 05:55PM

You're way off, Billy. Nice try though.

I've been mentioning when the magazine is mailed for as long as this forum has been online. It's not a promotional ploy and nothing has changed since day one, including the fact that in all those posts I also mention that it will be roughly 4 weeks before the magazine gets to people. As you're not a subscriber, you probably haven't read the posts closely enough to know that, or have simply had a memory lapse. It's certainly not rocket science to understand what "most subscribers will have it in about 4 weeks" and "some will get it a little sooner and some a little later" means.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-102.net)
Date: May 07, 2015 05:59PM

Uh, he usually mentions that it takes a few weeks or until the end of the month or something. It's never left open as to any idea that everybody will get it in a week. [rodbuilding.org]

Never mind we were typing at the same time. But the general delivery date is usually in there as you can see.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 06:05PM by Ken Finch.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Webmaster