I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank Storage
Posted by: John Schulze (---.honeywell.com)
Date: April 28, 2015 01:06PM

What position do you guys store your blanks while they are waiting to be built?

I would like to set up my rod building room to store them horizontally but I am worried about the rods developing a bow in them if they are only supported on a few locations instead of fully supported.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank Storage
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 01:11PM

John,
I would suggest that you store them vertically.

If you do store them horizontally, then put them on solid full length shelves, so that there is no sag in the center of the shelves or storage locations.

Vertical storage is so simple and allows you to store rods in a very small space making use of off of the open vertical storage room found in most rooms.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2015 01:31PM

If space is a problem, supporting them horizontally isn't an issue, particularly with modern graphite rod blanks. They're not prone to taking a set.

We had an article in a past issue of the magazine that detailed how to build a horizontal rack that suspended from the ceiling. Not hard to do and you can likely easily figure out your own design. Having them up high means they're not taking up any otherwise useful area in your rod building shop.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 02:22PM

I don't know how many blanks you have at one time but, some water or sewer pipe from a large box store will hold a lot of rods,
the chance is very small of getting broken there but a flat cap on one end an it will stand on the cap with no problem the plastic
pipe comes in different sizes , or get 2 sticks, long rods in one an short in the other , or any mix you want an takes a very small floor
space, [I think ] they normanly stk, many sizes an color [ get cheepest ] an you can a tie string to hold it vertical if you want lots, of ideas an little floor space I think it is a cheep way to hold blanks an not much floor space an you can use the shelf can be better used

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 03:06PM

If you take Tom's idea and suspend from the ceiling make it like hanging ceiling lamps on a light chain to a 2 x 4 across. On both ends then connect the 2 bys with 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe. Put the blanks in the pipe and there is no support problem on the rods.

For that matter you can put the rods in the PVC pipe and store any where or how you want to.

Tom

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 28, 2015 06:36PM

I store my blanks horizontally in full length 4" dia. heavy cardboard tubes suspended from the rafters in my basement.

Rog

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2015 12:00AM

I just keep my extra rod blanks stored vertically in tubes that they where sent in usually. I tend to build more fly rods then anything though. So I compact them in tubes set in the corner of the room. Most of them are four pcs and don't eat up a lot of room. I keep them vertical because I have quite a few fiberglass blanks. Like Tom said my graphite conventional rods I set in the corner with them because they won't set in that position anyhow. I had a rainshadow blank that sat in that corner for over 3 years before I decided to build it out for my uncle for Christmas one year. You would never have guessed it sat there that long. One of the straightest blanks I'v built on. I would say where you store them is more important then how. I keep all my rods indoors in a temp controlled enviroment. Keep them out of your truck and out of your garage.

Posted by: John Schulze (107.77.90.---)
Date: April 29, 2015 10:59AM

Thanks everybody for your thoughts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster