I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walnut Crotch Burl
Posted by: Steven Kincaid (---.rford-east.t6b.com)
Date: April 08, 2015 09:12PM

We just listed a bunch of Walnut Crotch Burl on our website in both reel seat blanks and rod handle blank sizes. This is the 1st time we have ever had this wood in the rod handle dimensions. This is the best looking Walnut Burl we have ever seen! The wood has been kiln dried to 6% moisture content and then put through an additional process to remove the oil from the wood before stabilizing in clear. The oil removal takes away the possibility of the oil leaching out of the wood long term and affecting your finish. Please check it out when you have a few minutes and give us your feed back. Questions and comments are always appreciated. Thanks!

Steve and Brian
Reelseatblanks.com

Steve Kincaid

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walnut Crotch Burl
Posted by: Mark Welinski (74.116.16.---)
Date: April 09, 2015 12:09PM

Steve, lots of red SOLD notes on pieces you have for sale. Will you be updating anytime soon? Adding more blanks?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 01:08PM

Looks like walnut crotch alright, but it sure doesn't look like burl.

Date: April 09, 2015 06:41PM

Mark: We added more this morning and will be adding more tonight. We got hammered with orders within 2 hours of listing this wood on the forums we belong to. We had no idea we'd sell through as much as we did in so short of time! Thanks for your interest!
Steve

Steve Kincaid

Date: April 09, 2015 06:46PM

Randolph: You're certainly entitled to your opinion. The definition of burl is: "tree growth in which the grain has grown in an unusual or deformed manner". We've heard this type of wood called crotch burl, feather burl, flame burl, rat-tail burl and a few others. We've always called this crotch burl and will continue to do so. It may not fit your definition but it fits ours just fine. I hope that helps.
Steve

Steve Kincaid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 06:47PM by Steven Kincaid.

Date: April 09, 2015 07:02PM

A burl grows off the trunk in a ball shape. Ii is not in the center of the tree crotch. Look it up.

Date: April 09, 2015 07:19PM

I have. Lot's of good info out there. Keep looking and you might find more than what you're focused on.

Steve Kincaid

Date: April 09, 2015 07:57PM

I have some very fine feather crotch walnut. One piece is actually in the shape of a feather, like a turkey tail feather. I also have a slab of Madrona burl that was harvested from a huge tree.. It is a true burl. I have over 60 different varieties of wood in my shop including the burl of Mediterranean heather which is commonly called briar. Pink Ivory wood, tulip wood, sheeshaw, etc. I am not a novice in wood. You may call it what you like. I would just call it walnut crotch.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2015 08:13PM

Steven knows the wood business pretty darn well. He couldn't stay in that business for very long if he was misrepresenting what he's selling. Too many in the wood crafts and businesses would call him on it.

Date: April 09, 2015 08:39PM

Thanks, Tom. What we're talking about here is a simple matter of terminology and opinion. Conventional burl does grow as an outer growth either on the trunk, limbs or in the roots of the tree. Burl "figure" is referred to as any unusual or deformed grain figure in the wood. Randolph is welcome to call what we listed walnut crotch. We'll call it walnut crotch burl.

Steve Kincaid

Date: April 09, 2015 09:48PM

Steve, whatever you want to call it you have some nice pieces there. :>) RRandy

Date: April 09, 2015 10:04PM

Thanks, Randy. We appreciate the compliment! Like you we are very fussy about our wood.

Steve Kincaid

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 10:50PM

He definitely has some of the finest stabilized woods out there and used by many builders

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster