I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what thread?
Posted by: Mark Gerth (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 08, 2015 01:29AM

Hello, I am just curious what brand of thread is everyone's 'go-to'. I bought some fugi thread and I have not used it yet. I was just wondering what the most common brand that is being used. Thank you in advance for your help! -Mark Gerth

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what thread?
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.246.---)
Date: April 08, 2015 07:45AM

I have quite a bit of Gudbrod left, use some Pro Wrap, and have tried one spool of Fuji. No complaints with any of them other than the regular version of Pro Wrap metallic, which tends to jump off the spool.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 08, 2015 07:55AM

makoi is my first choice. vibrant color, no fuzzies, and even their metalic trim after 1 year of fishing looks like theh day i wrapped it( Ok i use CP and permagloss so no yellowing).

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 08, 2015 09:37AM

I recently started using Madeira Polyneon size 40 as recommended by Billy Vivona, an embroidery thread, for decorative wraps. The color selection is far more extensive than what's offered by other companies. I think they have somewhere near 500 colors now. Embroidery threads are lubricated, so color preserver is needed to reduce the risk of the finish pooling on untreated thread. Some people mix their finish with a strand of thread which reportedly reduces the chances of pooling, but the info on this practice is anecdotal.

I know some of the people doing weaves nowadays are incorporating the 60 wt Mareira. The extra thin thread allows for some amazingly detailed weaves.

For guide wraps, I have a lifetime supply of Gudebrod nylon which I supplement some pro-wrap. I just picked up some samples of Fuji thread and am liking that also. I'm equally satisfied with all three.

Posted by: Mark Gerth (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2015 12:17AM

Thanks for your input guys! Really appreciate it!!! -Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster