I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grizzly 4 jaw chuck recommendations
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: April 07, 2015 10:50PM

Since there are lots of turners here I was wondering if anyone had any strong preferences for a 4 jaw chuck for a Grizzly model 8690 mini wood lathe. I got this one cheap from someone who did pen turning. I think this one has a compression /spindle fitting (that is stuck)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 10:50PM by Ken Preston.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grizzly 4 jaw chuck recommendations
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 01:17AM

Ken, take a look at the chucks offered by Penn State Industries.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 11:06AM

[cdn0.grizzly.com]

You use the words "compression /spindle fitting (that is stuck)"

Are you saying that there is something in the headstock or in the tail stock that is stuck?

Note the following from page 13 of your lathe manual:

. The Model G8690 is supplied with a #1 Morse
Taper spur center for use when spindle turning.
The spur center is used in conjunction
with the tailstock live center. Install the spur
center by inserting it into the hole in the
headstock spindle end. To remove the spur
center from the headstock, insert a pin into
the spindle hole and turn the hex nut counterclockwise
with a wrench until the spur center
is ejected. See Figure 10

I don't know if that is what you are talking about or not, but refer to the attached manual for other questions.

=================================
Also, from your manual, it appears that you have an MT-1 headstock and an MT-1 tapered tail stock. So, any lathe accessories that have this taper will fit your lathe.

In addition, it appears that your headstock has a rather unusual M18X1.5 thread. So, you could also use a lathe chuck that would have a screw on back plate with the same M18X1.5 thread.

After doing a search, I could find chucks with an M18 thread size but they all had a 2.5 thread. I could not find any chucks with screw on backplates that h ad an M18X1.5 backplate.

It appears, that unless you have a custom backplate made, you will be limited to using chucks that have an MT-1 shank on the back like this one:

[sites.google.com]

Also, with this lathe, it has a solid shaft headstock, so you will not be able to use any of the common through head stock chucks and the ability to slide mandrels through the headstock.

This just means that you likely need to use mandrels that are sized for the length of the work that you want to turn on the lathe.

Good luck

Date: April 08, 2015 04:15PM

Thanks very much Roger. Yes the spindle is stuck in the headstock. I have no idea honestly how I'm going to get the spur out .. but I will (may have to use a gear puller as it is really jammed even after the nut is loosened). Looks as though I'm going to have to go with the MT-1 shank. I was hoping for a 4 jaw but this one will also work

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 07:08PM

Ken,
Depending on what the spindle is, the manual says to hold the head stock in position with a locking bar. Then, back the nut up off of the head stock and have the nut, while is is backing off, push the spindle out of the headstock.

If you have a spindle that is overhanging the nut, this method will work just fine.

Otherwise, you can take a pair of vice grips and lock down on the spindle if it is a circular spindle with no plate on it. Then, just put a big screwdriver between the spindle nut and the vice grips and pop the spindle out of the headstock.

Remember, the nut is not a locking nut. Rather it is just a backing nut to back off the spindle. The spindle is held in place with the MT-1 taper on the end of the spindle.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 07:42PM

A "compression spindle fitting", could it be a Collet?

Date: April 10, 2015 08:56AM

Phil
The lathe head has a spindle that inserts into a collet nut - so yes. Roger hit it dead on with the MT-1 chuck that he posted earlier in this thread

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster