I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help me placing a kl16h
Posted by: Henry La Pen (---.23-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it)
Date: April 01, 2015 02:22PM

Hello,
i'm trying to place a fuji ring KL16H on a 6' UL spinning rod.
The blank is a MHX S721 and i have this ring group: KL16H, KL8H, KL6M, KL5.5L
I'll use this rod with a 3000 shimano reel
I've tried to place the stripper with the GPS software, but it places the KL16H 694mm far from the reel stem... is this ok?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 02:22PM by Henry La Pen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help me placing a kl16h
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2015 04:40PM

I like doing it this way A lot easier IMHO
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2015 05:12PM

Six hundred and ninety-four millimeters is about twenty-seven and a third inches.
I have never measured from the reel stem. However something about 20 - 23 inches from the reel spool face might be about right.
Taping the guides on and making a few test casts might answer more questions than a gallon of theoretical ink.

Date: April 01, 2015 06:03PM

I start about 18 "

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 01, 2015 06:07PM

Bill: while I appreciate your willingness to help everyone with their rod layouts, the NGC is totally inappropriate for a KR Concept rod using The KL-H guides. KR Concept is a high-frame, small-ring concept that requires Fuji's latest guides and latest information. If you have our "redfish" catalog I would refer you to Page 46 and 47 where their are some good, simple suggestions for building these rods. Thanks man!

Henry: It's the reel that is placing the stripper out so far, it's slightly larger than most for use on an ultra light in my experience. GPS is using reel info to position guides but it still sounds like you may have been off on your measurements somehow. Try moving the stripper in to around 19 or 20 inches and place the choke point about 19 or 20 inches beyond the stripper. I build a lot of rods with 3000 series reels and they always seem to come out perfect in that range. Bulleye the 8H and the 5.5 between the stripper and choke and test cast.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2015 06:16PM

X10-on Bill and Jim's comments.

I build spinning rods with nearly all of the butt guides at 18-23 inches. The only exception is a 12-15 foot surf rod that will cause me to move the butt guide out to the 30-36 inch range.

Take care

Date: April 01, 2015 07:14PM

Your guides are nice
You make too many and make to many that do not make sense

But Don't Put Me Down Cause I don't Beleve In Your Time consuming way to set guides up
I like your guides and use the Alconite because there are toooo many for too many different purposes
And i do not beleve in using all of them just because you say they work You take a casting guide and turn it around and now have a SPECIAL guide ---- Please

If that is OK with you

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: April 02, 2015 01:39AM

Do as Jim stated, you'll be fine ;-)

Date: April 02, 2015 09:39AM

Bill, we greatly appreciate every single Fuji guide you purchase. Your support never goes unnoticed. Let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks!

Date: April 02, 2015 12:58PM

Hi friends,
i'm using the spacing that Jim stated, but whe i try to bulleye the train something goes wrong.....

To bulleye the guides i have a layout like the following:

KL16H <--250mm--> KL8H <--110mm--> KL6M <--130mm--> KL5.5L

The space between the 8H and the 6M is less than the space between the 6M and the 5.5L

Is this ok or i've done something wrong????

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: April 02, 2015 03:40PM

No need for the KL6M use just KL16H, KL8H and then a KL5.5M (not a KL5.5M).
Or If you dont want to order an KL5.5M then try without the KL5.5 (and use your KL6M instead).

Date: April 02, 2015 05:50PM

yep

Date: April 02, 2015 07:49PM

What do you mean, Jim?

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.sub-70-196-199.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2015 11:42PM

Henry: When you say "bullseye," are you meaning to say that every subsequent guide ring towards the tip centers within the prior guide ring? This sounds like the old "cone of flight" method of guide selection,placement,etc. If so,it is outdated and incompatible with todays guides and placement methods.
I agree with Jim's assessment of your choice of reels. Not only is it overkill as to size,ie; bulk,line capacity,weight,spool size,and more...it will make it tougher overall to balance the rod for optimum performance. Save yourself the grief and get a true ultralight reel. I believe you will be happier in the long run.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 12:18AM

Chuck,
I read and respect your opinion for a reel size for a "balanced" rod setup.

However, for certain fishing applications, I will often put a rather large reel, or a reel with a very large spool to be able to fish particular situations.

When casting to schools of fish, it is often advantageous to have a reel with a very larger spool. The large spool does two things.

1. The large spool lets the rod cast further.

2. The large spool gives the reel a much faster rate of retrieve. Thus, when casting for spooky fish, one can cast past the school, work the school and then quickly retrieve the hook for another long cast.

But, you are certainly correct. For the best match to an ultra light rod, it is generally in the users best interest to use a similar ultra light reel with a small spool.

Take care

p.s.
It is for these very reasons that when I go fishing I will often take a group of rods into the boat with me, with no reels mounted on any rod. I carry a variety of rods in a separate bag in the boat.
Then, when I find the fish and get into a fishing situation, I will grab the reel that is spooled with the line that I want to use, mount it, and go fishing.
But, if conditions change and I want to continue to use the same rod, I will often swap to a different reel, that may be smaller, larger, or the same size.

Posted by: Henry La Pen (---.albacom.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 01:55AM

I understand that a 3000 reel isn't the best for a UL rod, but i think this isn't the problem right now.

Chuck,
I think you HAVE TO bullseye the reduction train, if you have read the Jim's post above he tells to "Bulleye the 8H and the 5.5 between the stripper and choke and test cast"
My trouble is the spacing between the guides, not the reel....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster