I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grizzly Hobby Lathe/Disc Sander work for turning cork grips?
Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2015 05:08PM

I'm interested in making my own grips and was wondering if you think the grizzy hobby lathe tool would fit the bill? Looks like its a new item. Just not sure what features i need in a tool like that to make cork grips. thanks, mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grizzly Hobby Lathe/Disc Sander work for turning cork grips?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2015 05:12PM

The Grizzly unit that mounts the user's power drill has been around for a good while and many, many rod builders have used it to shape cork and EVA. It generally receives good reviews from all that have used it. Very economical way to get started turning your own grips.

Date: March 17, 2015 05:17PM

Excellent. Ill give it a try. thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 05:33PM

[www.grizzly.com]

This will work just fine.

Be safe

Date: March 17, 2015 05:39PM

That's the one i was looking at. I imagine all I will need to go with it are steel mandrels and a drill of course?

Date: March 17, 2015 06:22PM

Yes

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 07:11PM

I have had that lathe for about 15 years. I have a set of steel mandrels and do all of my cork and eva work. Very good product for the money. One thing to know is that not all drills will fit the lathe. It is best to order the drill with the lathe. The collar on the drill has to be long enough to clear the width of the clamp otherwise you will clamp down on the part that holds the mandrel (the chuck). It only took me 20 minutes to think of that word. I'm 75 but still building rods.

Posted by: John Locke (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 07:23PM

Ellis beat me to it....I was going to warn you that you might need to purchase the drill at the same time. None of my drill had the required collar dimensions and I just didn't need to add another drill to my collection so I went the drill press attachment route.

John

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2015 07:32PM

I'll add to what Ellis said. Grizzly used to have their own 1/2" corded drill that was a real workhorse, and fit the collar perfectly. They discontinued it several yrs ago, and I picked up a second one when they were closing them out. Been using the second one for 3 or 4 yrs. I did buy the Dewalt 1/2" that they show, as backup. It doesn't fit the collar as well, and required some grinding to get to clear the collar...it's not as high speed, either.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 09:34PM

Ii've been using that grizzly for a few months, and it's working OK. The drill was the difficult part. I tried 3 dewalts, and all had so much runout on an 18" mandrel that they provided very inconsistent results.
My recommendations would be:
1. If you will only be turning grips, go to your favorite tool retailer with a mandrel and try before you buy. My local lowes allowed me to try several drills before I found a skill 1/2", 2800 rpm vs drill that had minimal runout. High rpms are better imho, and when I need to dial it down, the vs allows me to do that. And as stated by other posters, make sure the drill collar fits in the head clamp.
2. when you are turning the grip down with your tool of choice, be sure to rotate the grip on the mandrel, with the power off and holding the chuck, to ensure that any runout you do have is mitigated and you'll get a more concentric grip once you get to the final finishing with sandpaper.
3. Use the appropriate mandrel for your grip. The shortest mandrel for the grip you're turning will lessen the amount of runout you have on the end farthest from the chuck.
4. You may need to shim the tailstock and/or tweak the drill-head clamp to make sure everything is lined up every time you tighten the chuck.
5. If you think you'll want to turn anything other than grips (winding checks, seat inserts, anything requiring tighter tolerances), you might consider spending a few more bucks for a midi lathe. $60 for the grizzly unit, another $60-120 for the drill, and you are close to the cheapest grizzly, harbor freight mini lathe. That's what I wound up doing, as the drill lathe couldn't do all that I wound up wanting to play around with.

Date: March 18, 2015 08:01AM

Lots of good info here. I probably should take a look at lathes too. Been wanting one for lure projects anyways. thanks, mark

Date: March 18, 2015 09:16AM

If you want to consider a lathe, this one that is the same lathe as many others; just with a different name and paint color represents an excellent value.

It is tough to beat the cost/performance of this lathe.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Of course, before you are finished, with accessories, you will likely have more money into the project. One should really have a 3 jaw chuck for the head stock and a jacobs style chuck for the tail stock. Also, a couple of different live tail pieces help as well.

Good luck

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 18, 2015 03:26PM

Also look at the 'how we do it' flexcoat videos on youtube.
They turn grips using a drill as power source.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 03:28PM

This looks to be almost the same model offered at Rockler. I've seen it on sale for the same price as the harbor freight model at times.
[www.rockler.com]

one thing i'd like to ask, and Bryan mentioned it first... what is "runout"?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 10:56PM

Eric
Runout is the amout of wobble in the chuck. If you put a mandrel in the chuck and clamp a dial indicator to the shaft if it has any movement that is what is considered run out. That movement could either be in the shaft of the drill or possibly in the chuck.

Pretty hard to check on a hand drill mostly used to check drill presses and lathes.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2015 12:36PM by Tom Wewerka.

Date: March 19, 2015 10:23AM

Eric,
Yes, you are correct. I own the Excelsior lathe from Rockler and it works very well for me. But when I had stopped over to harbor freight, I found their lathe to be essentially the same lathe. I think that there is a switch mount that is different, but other than that, the lathe is about the same unit. I think that there are several different brands out there that are essentially the same lathe made by the same over seas company, with different paint and or colors on it.

By the way, in addition to Tom's comment, you can clamp a hand drill into a vise. Then, put a long straight shaft into the drill chuck and see if there is any wobble on the end of the shaft when the drill is turned on. As Tom stated, if there is wobble, that is the runout that you really don't want to have.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 10:46AM

I find if I rase the RPM's on my drill lath any wobble goes away Never measured it but high speed and handles come out nice

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Daniel Merrill (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:36AM

eric zamora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This looks to be almost the same model offered at
> Rockler. I've seen it on sale for the same price
> as the harbor freight model at times.
> [www.rockler.com]
>
> one thing i'd like to ask, and Bryan mentioned it
> first... what is "runout"?
>
> eric
> fresno, ca.

I have this same lathe as well. Waited & got lucky with a $200 sale price on Amazon.
I also ordered Jacobs chucks (instead of a 3-jaw) because I turn on mandrels. A live tail stock & some turning tools.
I have used it a lot in the last year without any issues.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:47AM

I started out with that unit and it works fine within is light duty lilitations.. I think you
get it to start off with and direct the rest of your budget toward a good set of mandrels.
Threaded rod will assure you get wobble and runout. If a proper mandrel is not
available a piece of drill rod supported at both ends should be very close. In the
beginning human error is going to be your biggest problem.

Date: March 20, 2015 12:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster