I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for the right Blank.
Posted by: Jesse Wright (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 03:18PM

Been blowing up this form haha.

After I finish my two spiral wrap trolling rods, I'd like to make a custom bait catching rod. I catch my bait with a home made sabinki style rig. The rig has 5 hooks on dropper loops a small swivel and a 5 or 6 oz bank sinker. 15-20 pound test line. From the swivel to the sinker is about 10ft.
My idea of the best rod for this would be about 8ft to 8.6ft one piece and have a fast action. The baits are usaly about 10oz to just over 1lb, but when I get 3 or 4 on at once they can really pull. Also get by catch of small tuna, and jacks that also fight hard. Once caught a 10lb mahi and a 16lb YFT on my bait rod.
I don't want a big beefy rod, I've seen some blanks that have the length and action I'm looking for but the butt diamature is larger then what I'd like. Looking for a butt of around .500
Anyone have any suggestions?

This is probably the most important pole is my arsenal because live bait is key to my success on the kayak.

Aloha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for the right Blank.
Posted by: Jesse Wright (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2015 07:54PM

So after much looking i found this 91540 Jaws 9' 15-40 LB BLANK
Anyone made a rod from one of these blanks yet?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 11:20AM

Go for it; It sounds like the ideal blank for your needs.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 09:25PM

I'm interested in what you are doing. I think it might apply to my fishing. I'll tell you what things are like where I'm at and what I do. Msaybe we can both learn something:)

First we have the "inshore baits" that appeal to fish like tarpon and snook. These are pinfish/croker/spots. I think we can discount them for your needs.

Second we have the offshore baits for smaller fish. These might be pilchards, menhaden, herring, cigar minnows, and the like. One would like to have a 100-200 of these baits before heading out to blue water. You are tossing handfulls overboard to establish "bait balls" around the boat. Baits are best caught with a cast net. These can be "okay" baits for some of your needs. Basically the only baits I see "requiring" the rod blank you have suggested.

Third are basically members of the jack family. Blue runners/hardtails/goggeyes/etc. These are nice hardy baits that might be as big as a couple of pounds. One could feel okay running offshore with as little as six of these baits. I'm thinking this is what you are after.

Fourth we have ballyhoo. Both big and little fish like these. I put them separate because of what it takes to catch them (and keep them alive).

"If" you are interesed in the jack family baits......I'm going to suggest a single hook, with a bit of squid/shrimp, on a lighter rod and sinker, will yeild as many baits in the end.

"If" you are after ballyhoo, then you need sensitivity and finesse. These are also hard baits to keep alive. For these reasons I'm thinking they aren't what you are after.

"If " you are after the pilchards then go for multipe hooks and heavier sinkers as you plan. Just don't think those baits are best for what you are after. Sure, they get bites.....just not "big fish only" bites. Not to say 20# snappers don't inhale 2# goggleyes mind you:)

"If" you could consider the single hook approach for baits that are

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jesse Wright (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 02:26PM

Fishery is a lot different here in Hawaii, we like opelu, they probably a distant cousin to goggleyes, they look very similar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster