I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts on robust guide wrapping?
Posted by: Jesse Wright (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 06:12PM

Trying to decide best way to wrap my guides onto my 6.3ft super seeker Hercules 60XH blank.
After doing some research I see some recomend doing two layers of sizeA thred for a underwrap and 2 layers on sizeA for over wrap.
I'd like to do two layers of sizeA for under wrap and 1 layer sizeA over wrape, folowed by 1 layer sizeD metallic over wrap.
Dose this sound about right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on robust guide wrapping?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2015 06:26PM

1 layer underwrap at the most. A.

Double overwrap in either A or D. I might choose D.

There was an article in RodMaker not so very long ago that examined the most secure wraps and sequence for truly heady duty saltwater rods.

Date: March 13, 2015 07:54PM

Thank you for quick reply

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 08:35PM

I Agree with Tom A under D over

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 10:51PM

under wrap is to potect the blank when flexing a lot [ we hope big fish ] over wrap is to aid the flex coat hold the guide on . what I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 05:42AM

Robust could mean different things. First off, you aren't going to have a guide pull out from fishing. I'm now using little bitty single foot fly rod guides without underwraps on rods I used to think underwraps and double foot guides were required. This is even more true of you do spiral wrap (for the 180 guides).

Guides get ripped out from abuse. Abuse takes many forms. Had a guy drop a 30# dolphin (off the gaff) on the deck and that fish took out two roller guides on my brand new stand up rod:) Best I can suggest if you want abuse proof (no such thing) is underwrap with A, coat and wait a couple of days, then wrap on guides with A or D, coat and wait a couple of days....and then repeat guide wraps again.

Robust could also mean you want the guide wraps to stay looking good. Permagloss is a tougher product. Metallic thread fades the faster (and weaker IMO).

Keep in mind the blank is going to bend. If you pick a really heavy frame guide, that doesn't bend (long legs on the guide makes matters worse), you are going to get cracks in the finish. Once that happens, and water gets inside, failure is just a matter of time. The higher the frame of the guide the more "lever arm" it has to get ripped off. Consider these things before you get tempted to put really heavy guides on that rod.

Take a look at the Virtus ringlock guides in 316 stainless.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 14, 2015 02:55PM

Solid info,
Thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster