I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA Installation on tapered butt
Posted by: Andrew Mita (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2015 03:15PM

Hello all!

I have a blank with a reverse taper(smaller OD on the butt, and larger OD towards the tip) on the bottom half of the rod. Was looking to do full EVA grips. what is the best method if wanting to use 1 long piece of EVA? What is your method to building up to the EVA's ID on the smaller section of the rod? Thank you very much! trying to save as much weight as possible so looking for your best practices!

Thank you again!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA Installation on tapered butt
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 05:56PM

Andrew,
I just make an arbor of masking tape. I leave about a 1/8th inch gap between rows of masking tape to allow the epoxy to come down between the masking tape to adhere to the blank.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 06:07PM

Like said I use 1/4 " tape for the arbores and scoff the blank for a good bond

This must be a New Type of blank Never seen this What make is it ??? newer ones are said to be a Straight taper

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 06:10PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 06:24PM

Hey Bill..........if it is "straight", it's not a taper! lol

Date: March 07, 2015 06:30PM

Hay Phil

Check out the New Point Blanks They have a streight butt [rodbuilding.org]

And i would guess you have a blank that has a Smaller Butt They usually taper to a LARGER butt to the end of the blank

Like I have said Never herd of this - what company - what blank

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 06:36PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2015 01:32AM

Are we sure our leg isn't being pulled?
I guess we're too politically correct to suggest turning the blank around and using the big end as the butt...Too bad, that just might have worked.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 08:22AM

If the handle has a reverse taper it may be that you have a butt join blank.
Is the tip/handle ratio about 70/30 or greater?

If it is a butt join blank, the reel seat is at the top of the handle and reinforces the female section of the ferrule.

A second way to build this blank is to have the upper grip also on the handle. In this case the upper edge of the grip is even with the top of the handle (which is also the top of the female section of the ferrule).

In building with the reel seat and lower grip on the handle, the reel seat is slid onto the handle from the butt end. It is followed by the lower grip that is also slid from the butt end of the handle. The upper grip will be installed on the tip section of the blank.

The same procedure is used when the reel seat, upper grip and lower grip are all located on the handle. They are all slid into place from the butt end of the handle.

Garry, the butt joined blanks enable the use of the reel seat to reinforce the female ferrule. This configuration is found on plugging blanks rated to PE-10 or PE-12.

Don Becker

Date: March 08, 2015 11:50AM

Now I see what he is talking about
I took a look and found I think is a Shamano rod Seems like they trimed off about 2' of butt section and turn it around Then make the tip go into the butt That is why the tapper gets smaller at the end The section they trim is all handle and seat

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 08, 2015 03:37PM

hello everyone! this is a butt joint(female bottom section, male top @ ~70/30)GT rod rated for pe12 line. The blank is a unitedxcomposites formerly known as Graphite USA. I am a big fan of both the new and old stuff! ive run into some minor problems but that has not deterred me as most of their work has been really great!

the reverse taper on this rod has been made so that it shaves a lot of weight on the butt section of the rod since in the GT world, the bottom half doesnt really flex all that much, especially on pe12 rods.

Don! ive spoken to you before on HFF, email, and other sites! always a great resource! I plan on keeping the EVA on the bottom section only.

Thanks a lot everyone! I have been using masking tape before but wanted to see if there were any other methods that others have tried to shave weight, but at this point, 200g+ lures and this rod will probably not see a difference from a small area like taping.

Thank you again!!!

Date: March 08, 2015 05:22PM

Hi Andrew,

Although the handle may seem rigid, it should flex. This is to help protect the tip section when the fish is near a boat and there is a tendency to high stick the rod.

Masking tape should not be used with Ulua rods. It is a wood product, will get wet, will expand and will separate. If your grips are properly prepared, they should slide uperward onto the handle using epoxy as a lubricant. If you need to shim the reel seat, use thread or yarn. The thread or yarn will act as a reservoir for the epory and provide full contact between the blank and the reel seat. When using thread or yarn, the material should not be packed tight as it must permit the flow of epoxy between the blank and reel seat. You must be able to fully saturate the material with epoxy. You can use painters masking tape to protect your blank and parts from epoxy during assembly.

I did return from China Fish on Friday morning. What may be of interest to you is a request I made for shockleader. 80# for the small end and 200# for the runnung section. The company will investigate to determine if they can supply the shockleader. You would be amazed by the number of pictures that were drawn to convey the idea of heavy shockleader. If the minimum order quantity is high ($$$) I may have to pass on the purchase.

Best wishes,
Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 05:25PM by Donald Becker.

Date: March 09, 2015 02:43AM

Don,

As i am a fly fisher as well, are you speaking of tapered leaders? Very interesting if so, perfect for slide baiters doing albright 60-80lb to 200lb leaders!!!although im a lure fanatic, its a great idea!!! thanks for the tips!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2015 02:20PM

Shakespear made Ugly Stick trolling handles that had a reverse taper. I still have two of them.

Date: March 09, 2015 03:15PM

Andrew,

My bad. I should have said heavy tapered leader. I can not take credit for this idea as several people have asked for the product. The need was for bait casting and plug/stick bait fishing.

Randolph,

I have a couple of long distance fishing rods by Kilwell, They are 14', made with leading technology, have a 60/40 split and have a reverse taper ferrule. They have good distance capability, very reliable, and I have not had a single issue with the ferrules.

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster