I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat size
Posted by: Frank Balas (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 11:15AM

This may sound like a foolish question but here goes anyway. Three specs are usually given with reel seats, inside diameter, outsiide diameter and length. When building a rod to be used with a spicific reel I assume that you select the reel seat who's length most closly matches the length of the foot of you reel and who's interior diameter come close to the diameter of the rod. In other words it is a compromise of what fits the rod and the reel.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat size
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2015 11:42AM

Frank,

That is not a foolish question at all, and hits upon one of the major points of customization that can really set a custom rod apart from a factory rod!

For fly rods, you can go by that set of rules. In that situation any weight you can keep off the rod will result in a more efficient rod, which is true for all rods. However, for spinning rods in particular, the angler's hand is wrapped around the reel seat the majority of the time, and using a large OD reel seat can result in a more ergonomic grip for the rod. I have pretty small hands and when I must use a reel seat, I opt for an 18mm spinning seat. Otherwise my spinning rods get a woven graphite split TN handle with the reel wrapped on with thread and finished like a guide foot.

Casting seats are a whole other ball game, and everyone has their favorite styles, but on casting rods, I use the smallest ID seat I can for the rod.

Anytime you have extra space between the blank and the reel seat, you need to shim it. I prefer to use the various foam arbors available to take up the space, but masking tape, thread, or drywall tape and other options work as well.

Joe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2015 11:53AM

On rods where you physically hold the reel seat, you may find it better to size the seat to fit your hand.

Reel feet are generally close in size regardless of reel size so most seats, beyond say a size 16, will fit most reels.

Posted by: Barry Westmoreland (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2015 02:08PM

Thank you for asking this question. As a new rod builder I learn a lot from reading other peoples questions and the answers.

Tom, a suggested topic for next year's Expo, a "Buy The Numbers" seminar. The rod building class I attended was great in that it taught us how to assemble our rod kits. But it did not teach why specific components and sizes were used.

After attending the class and building my first rod I was eager to order parts for my next rod. But when a beginner looks in a catelog and starts seeing reel seats in 16-20+, and guides of this height and material vs micro vs COF vs microwave vs NCG, and rods of graphite vs e-glass vs s-glass, the new builder is quickly overwhelmed and confused. Or at least, I was. A Buy The Numbers seminar at would help educate about which components and sizes a new builder should buy and use.

Just a suggestion, but a seminar that I and I am sure many new builders would attend.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 04:09PM

Frank,
As others have said. Use the reel that fits the hand of the person that is going to use it. Of course at the same time, you want the reel seat to be able to handle the intended reel.

Years ago, when I first started building, I used to cut off the threads on seats, so that there were few if any threads showing with the reel in place. After finding that a new reel would not fit the way that I had modified the reel seat; I no longer cut threads off of reel seats.

Many folks including myself will have rods for a much longer time than they might have a particular reel. Things change in reels all of the time and there are times when a person wants to change a reel for a new or different model.

This is also the reason, that I no longer get hung up on matching a particular reel to a particular rod.

I will sometimes use a small reel on a rod, and then; for a particular reason; I will use a middle sized or even large reel on the same rod.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster