I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Icing of snake guides
Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2015 05:02PM

I'm building a 5 weight fly rod to be used in very cold, icy conditions. I'll use traditional (double foot) snake guides.

I'm thinking of maybe using slightly larger guides than I would if conditions weren't icy. Is that necessary? What's the smallest size snake guide you would use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Icing of snake guides
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 06, 2015 08:04PM

Icing?
At least a sz 3 snake.
And a "large loop" tip top.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 06, 2015 10:06PM

I agree on size 3 (I use them on my 8wt for salmon/steelhead) though they will look a bit funny on a 5wt.
I tried single foots first but rewrapped with snakes due to icing issues.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 09:05AM

Dave may I suggest you think about recoil guides. I really like them in ice and prefer the black as it is better if any sun at all. But the flick of a thumb if ice does happen to build up sends it flying without damage. I do prefer single foot but that's a preference

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 09:34AM

David,
I build a lot of ice rods that are used in all weather conditions by fellows who seldom use a shelter. They will often fish in very hostile conditions with the temperatures as low as -20F or -30F.

I have tried many different guide sets for these particular clients. I have finally settled on a very tough reinforced guide set, where no guide or tip is any smaller than a size 10.

When these particular clients have their guides turn into a total block of ice, they simply take the rod and beat it against the ice until all of the ice has been knocked loose from their rods and their guides. For the type and style fishing that they do, they do not want to have to baby their rods, and worry about guides bending or breaking in these very extreme conditions that they fish.

So, as I said earlier, no guide smaller than a size 10. When I dropped down to size 8 for a couple of rods, they sent them back and asked that they be redone with the size 10 to minimize the icing problem.

Granted, these are extreme fishermen, fishing in extreme conditions; but one builds what the client wants and builds the tool to do the job that is needed for the client.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 10:37AM

Second Billy's recommendation of REC recoil guides - the lightweight variety. They are very flexible and will return to their original shape when deformed. I suggest you put a forhan wrap or two on both legs of each snake guide. The flexibility of the guides is an asset to removing ice but may allow one leg of a snake guide to "back out" from beneath its thread wrap, an event which will heat up the air in the vicinity on the coldest day.

Date: March 07, 2015 10:37AM

Second Billy's recommendation of REC recoil guides - the lightweight variety. They are very flexible and will return to their original shape when deformed. I suggest you put a forhan wrap or two on both legs of each snake guide. The flexibility of the guides is an asset to removing ice but may allow one leg of a snake guide to "back out" from beneath its thread wrap, an event which will heat up the air in the vicinity on the coldest day.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-130.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2015 04:48PM

Roger,

I just had a visual of a bunch of fur-clad ice fishermen, jumping up and down on the ice, beating their ice rods against the ice, saying "Me want FISH!"....

Thanks for that...lol.

Chris

Date: March 07, 2015 05:58PM

Chris,
What makes you think that they don't say that?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 06:14PM

That is what a lot were saying about the Acid Wrap ??

sounds like a few Neanderthals ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 08:29AM

I think if you guys are getting ice on your guides you're fishing W A A A Y too far north. :-)

Date: March 08, 2015 09:24AM

Michael,
Any time one is fishing through 4 feet of ice, there is a REALLY good chance that you are going to be getting ice on the guides.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 09:56AM

I know, Roger, just kidding.

Date: March 08, 2015 05:41PM

In addition to using huge guides a fly fisherman should be sure to use a cold-weather fly line when fishing through the ice.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 07:52PM

There are also things to spray on the rod and guides like Pam ya it sounds crazy but shoure helps

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster